iMac is not compatible with Time Capsule !?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aloha888, Sep 21, 2008.

1. aloha888 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I got a really weird situation, hope somebody can help me out.

Here's the problem. I bought a new iMac and a new Time capsule just 3 days ago. I set up a wireless connection using TC. Every computer in my apt can use it, including my macbook. Works totally fine.
    But only my new iMac has problems. The airport icon on the menu bar looks fine, but sometimes iMac cannot get an IP address from TC, but TC use DHCP! How come iMac can't get an IP, sometimes it gets an 169.254.x.x IP or even nothing.

However, even if iMac get the correct IP, like 10.0.1.x, I can only surf the internet about 2 minutes, and then die again, maybe 15 minutes after, it will works for 1 minutes and the die, keeps looping the same situation.

Did anybody have the similar experience? I try to reset TC twice, or set up a different SSID for wireless connection, and I also try to reinstall the OS of iMac, still useless, internet only works for 10 minutes after I reinstall the OS. Gosh...I'm going crazy now, cuz I try to debug the whole thing for 2 days!

BTW, I also borrow another NETGEAR wireless router, and I plug it into TC's LAN port, and set up a SSID. Then my iMac can connect to that SSID and works totally fine! It proves that iMac's wireless network adapter can work, but other PC&macbook works fine with TC. I'm totally confused now. Looks like iMac and TC hate each other...

Please help!

2. chipchen macrumors 6502

Hmm... sounds weird... and sounds like you've done most of your due diligence in researching. I would also try apple.com/support and check the discussions page.

It's not uncommon for a wireless device to have issues with certain routers... but it is rare for this to happen with the same manufacturer... and certainly more rare with Apple products. Just to be sure, make sure your software is up to date on the TC and the iMac as well.

A few other things just to try it though...

- create a new test user and try it
    - zap PRAM
    - boot from another hard drive and try it
    - create a wireless network from the iMac and see of other macs can connect to it