iMac isn't recognizing External BD Drive.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xplnusa, Nov 29, 2014.

1. xplnusa macrumors regular

I started with this drive:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QA2Y9S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked great, no real complaints. Plugged it in, iMac recognized it and off I went ripping Blu-ray discs...

When the kids got a mac mini I gave them this one (they still use it for watching DVD's and such)

I upgraded to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIYBB9Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However at this point, somewhere along the line I'm guessing with an upgrade or something, now my iMac won't recognize either one of them. I'm using a powered USB strip like I was before. Nothing has changed on that. Now my iMac won't recognize either of these drives.

Any help, ideas places to look.

I've tried different USB ports, unhooking them and rebooting and then hooking them back up and still nothing.

I'd like to try and finish up ripping my BD collection but need to get my machine to recognize at least one of these drives so that I can do that.

Thanks for any help.

Heath

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Do you have any other USB devices you can plug in? That way you can see if it's all devices, pointing to a problem with the Mac or if it's just the ROM drives.

3. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

Does my GPS count? Its reading that and my extern HDD that I use for Time Machine just fine.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

5. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

I know the first one was, I'll try the Samsung here in just a bit and report back.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

6. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

7. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

So I unplugged my external HDD from the back and plugged it into the powered usb hub. Then plugged the BD drive into the back of the computer and now its working.

Odd...