Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneTraveler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2002
End of the Earth
I know this one has been beaten, but I'm looking for any more insight. I'm helping a friend out.
Issue: iMac g5 boots to blue screen. Items tried:

reset PRAM/PMU
fyck drive
Target disk/disk utility repair disk/permissions
ran Hardware test all passed
re-install OS
installed new HD

interesting things to note:
• if I target disk boot on another machine (using bad as boot device) i get a kernel panic
• after re-installing OS, machine stills goes to blue HOWEVER after leaving it there to troubleshoot I hear the install music begin playing....so things are still happening behind the scenes.
• Never fails to load successfully in SAFE MODE
• VERY slow to go into SAFE mode

Ive searched around, but no fixes have come to fruition. I hope you all can help.
Thanks!

OneTraveler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2002
End of the Earth
Yeah, I am fearing the logic board issue, but since the repair program was over I was having a hard time finding the exact description of the things to look for with an LB problem...seems strange to me that the SafeBoot works, though...

sadly, shop repair isn't feasible. Nearest Apple Store is 1500 miles away, and nearest authorized shop is 300 miles and a 14 hour ferry ride. Probably not worth it to hear the LB is shot.

OneTraveler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2002
End of the Earth
One more item...

And I hate to revive the thread, but I was going to try one more time before I give up...

New info:

Apple Hardware test comes back with everything passing....including Logic board. So, do I have hope or is the AHT woefully inaccurate?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
If Apple Hardware Test tells you there's a problem, there's a problem. However, just because it gives you a clean bill of health doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't something wrong that it didn't pick up on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.