IMAC issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rajberi, May 29, 2019.

1. rajberi macrumors newbie

Two issues

• if I have to restart the MAC, lots of applications start up automatically which slow the start-up process down eg MS word, excel, powerpoint
    • Other long-standing problem is that increasing, whenever I do even the simplest of task eg bold a word, enter info into an excel cell - the coloured wheel start up. I can hear the hard disk grinding away. The wheel spinning can last from 30 secs to 3-4 minutes so slows down my work!! - this is definitely an iMAC problem as I have a MacBook pro which suffers no such challenges. Both have Mojave installed. The iMAC has become a lot worse with spinning wheel (processing) since Mojave was installed

2. jseq macrumors newbie

Model, year of built and specs os iMac?
    Apps are up to date for Mojave?

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

When you choose "Shut Down", do you see a checkbox to "reopen windows when logging back in" ???
    If you do, make sure this box DOES NOT have a checkmark in it.

Also, go to System Preferences/Users & Groups/Login Items. See if the apps that are opening automatically are listed there. If they are, you can remove them.

Re the beachball issue:
    Does your iMac have a platter-based hard drive inside (instead of an SSD)?
    If so, that's probably the reason.

4. TwoH macrumors newbie

Not a lot of information supplied here - but more than likely sounds like an issue with your storage.