Imac - It feels slow.:I

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by luffytubby, Jun 17, 2009.

1. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

I don't know if it's my imagination or what, or if I am remembering things wrong, but my Imac(2,8 GHz, 4 Gigs of Ram, 8800 GS) feels kinda slow sometimes.

Imovie 08 is very slow, sometimes during Youtube videos it will stutter for a while. Clicking on a song to play in Itunes sometimes takes 5 seconds to start playing like it needs to think for me to pause it or stop it, and this is without covers being shown. I feel that WoW runs not so good anymore either, but there are some bugs and graphics upgrades since I got it I guess, but still.

When I got the machine I could run countless HD Movies on top of each other other with no stuttering at all. It just seems slower.

Can I do a hardware test by myself to check if everything is up to par?

I did the windows aero test and got 5.7 I think. CPU got the lowest score. Ram and Harddrive was good, so I dont know if those were the problem.

My local mac retailer is very unfriendly, and don't seem bothered to help. They really couldn't care less, which is annoying. It's not apples fault, they are just a mac fan shop that became the official mac chain in my country(Humac).

So I don't know what to do. I went into disk utility and tried to repair my drives, don't think it made a difference.

Maybe I am just crazy though... can I do a test in vista to see everything is working? would a 3DMark 06 test give me beneficial results to the power?

or could I have gotten a virus on the mac side?(recently installed Vista. OSX feels more sluggish now).

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not possible.

3. luffytubby thread starter macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

ok. do you know anything else I could try?

4. squeabs macrumors newbie

squeabs

Un-install Vista. I'm not saying this as a stab at windows. I'm being serious. I had windows xp installed in boot camp and my iMac became a little sluggish. If you don't absolutely need it, get rid of it.

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

how many programs do you have, how full is your harddrive, how many icons are there on you desktop.

It must render every icon on your desktop, so it will a little little bit to have only few of them.

When your RAM is full, it uses your hard-drive. When you hard-drive is also full it can't go anywhere and will just wait until there's room.

I know that at the windows side, more programs make your pc slow. Even though you don't launch them. This is because the programs load some drivers and such to start faster and such. And I think there are more reasons. Some of them may apply for an iMac too.

p.s. funny, you have the same iMac as I have.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Run Activity Monitor (it's on your computer) and see if there is a process that is taking up an unusual amount of resources. Don't bother with unfriendly retailers, Call Applecare (800-275-2273). They are always patient. Best wishes.

7. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Google Onyx to run maintenence scripts to do a bit of a clean up, then google monolingual and use it to remove extra languages on all of your mac applications that you don't need (should clean up around 4GB!) then remove PPC architecture out of all the applications (strips out unecessary code you don't need).

8. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Look in the logs, using console.app to see if there is something causing an enormous amount of log activity.

If something is really causing a problem, it'll create huge logs, bog the system down until you go to log in and it hangs.

Might be something that is software (Needing removal/update) or something that didn't reset right after a system update and may be causing a hardware issue requiring a SMC reset.

10. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

How did you install Vista? Through BootCamp or VM such as Fusion VMware etc...