iMac jacks placement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Red Fuji, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Red Fuji, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

Red Fuji macrumors member

Red Fuji

While i love the imac i do have a gripe.
    My igripe is the lack of side jacks. All the jacks are back facing. What are you thinking Apple? Some of us do need to plug and unplug things back there like SD card, headphone, USB, thunderbolt. I am sure it was a cost saving move for Apple-great ! nice job - how about us consumers & ergonomics stuff ? I am not thrilled in having to grab and turn the monitor every time I need to plug something in backthere. Oh ..but I am mesmerized by the thin-edged display! looks great-maybe. Forget about functionality, looks is everything. NOT excatly when it comes to computers. I would have much loved some side jacks instead of the 'flimsy looking' thin edges. Thanks for thinking of us Apples. I think Apple failed on that one going over there head with the image thing and sacrificing functionality-which i dont think looks all that sexy.

refurb 27" iMac i7 3.4Ghz, 1TB Fusion, 8GB RAM, GTX 680MX

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

3. Crazy82 macrumors member

Yeah! You tell them bro! :)

Seriusly thay shuld put the jacks on the side or front and me neither care about the looks before the funcinallty thing!

4. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

while it's a pain for plugging and unplugging, it makes complete sense for apple's design language. The idea is minimalism, and placing the ports on the rear, with cables fed through the hole in the stand, in theory all connected peripherals are still totally hidden from view when looking at the imac. Adding ports on the side changes the silhouette which is obviously important to apple and jony ive...

One of the caveats of design first thinking.

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hmm, you know beforehand what you are buying, you knew those ports are on the back.
    Also, how many desktop computers have all their ports on the front, NONE, most of the PC Towers have most of the ports on the back and just 1 or 2 USB ports and the SD Card slot on the front.

The only port which should be on the side is the SD Card slot I think, the rest should be on the back.
    If you need to change devices a lot some extension cables or a thunderbolt dock might help!

6. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

That's right. Because most of the time desktop machine plugged into permanent peripherals such as printer, speaker, backup HDD which hardly removed.

Well that's just the price you pay for having a nice looking computer. I need to get up to plug something onto the back, oh well first world problem.

The best solution would be get a decent USB hub, or a wired Apple keyboard, it's a piece of excellent keyboard, having a numpad is necessity for some, and also it resides 2 USB plugs on the side, also no need to replace battery constantly is a breeze for the long run. No other keyboard could do that nicely.

Screw :apple: wireless keyboard.

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Seriously, come on do you really want an iMac to look like a AIO PC, yeach!

However if you want Apple to know then write Apple, you can reach them at www.apple.com/feedback however don't expect a reply but you can make your voice heard. You can do that here but I doubt Apple reads this forum or even cares about it.

8. trustever macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestion, I did have several cables pending on the desk but now I have put them trough the hole on the back and at least I can't no longer see them!

On the point of the SD card I agree is a pain, would be nice to have a reader in the keyboard!..