iMac just ordered :)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vodouman, Jan 9, 2011.

1. vodouman macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I just got myself a new iMac 27". I was gonna go for the Macbook Pro but changed my mind last minute.

I got:

2.93GHZ QUAD-CORE INTELCORE I7
    4GB 1333MHZ DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB
    2TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
    ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5
    8X DOUBLE-LAYER SUPERDRIVE
    APPLE MAGIC MOUSE-Z
    APPLE BATTERY CHARGER-GBR
    APPLE REMOTE
    WL KB & USER'S GUIDE-GBR
    COUNTRY KIT,IMAC 27-INCH-GBR

Student discount and a free printer, got the Apple Care too :)

It says it'll be dispatched in 3 business days but delivery estimation is 20-21 January :S Seems like a long time :(

Here's hoping that you guys tell me that upgrading to the i7 processor at extra cost up from the i5 will produce decent performance benefits or I may have to ring up and change the order!

- Luke

2. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

Depends what you wanna use it for. If your not doing anything hardcore on it then you've wasted your money. I was gonna go for the i7 but decided not to in the end. Glad I didn't, would of been a waste of £160. Great idea on the 2tb though, I was gonna get that as well but changed my mind. Wish I didnt, that would be a worthy spend of £120 in my opinion :/

3. vodouman thread starter macrumors regular

I'm a games developer so i'll be doing compiling and gaming maybe a bit of 3DS Max. I wanted to know roughly how much better the i7 compared to the i5 is for that sort of thing. For example, when gaming would I see much of an increase in FPS because of the CPU improvement?

Finally, the cash I spent on it I plan on keeping it for at least 5 years so I guess the CPU is a valid choice for longevity...

4. BigRedOne macrumors regular

You purchased what you wanted and all's you have to do now is enjoy your decision. Congrats on the purchase of a very nice Mac system, have fun.

5. vodouman thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does anyone know if the quoted delivery date is pretty accurate? 10 days seems a bit lengthy.

6. barryswanson macrumors newbie

Congrats on the new imac. Thats an awesome computer you have got coming.:apple:

7. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

8. vodouman thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhh that's good to know. I'm here in the UK so it might be different :) Hopefully not. I was quoted a 3 business day despatch date too so i'm not expecting it to leave the factory until tomorrow :(

9. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

It is a shame apple care is so expensive, but I am glad you got it.

Have a lot of fun with your new 27" imac. :)

10. vodouman thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking about cancelling it actually. I found out that when purchasing from the education store you get a standard 3 year warranty so I don't see what the difference between that and apple care is...

11. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Practically nothing. If you can buy from the education store then definitely do so.

12. vodouman, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

vodouman thread starter macrumors regular

I just rang up now to enquire about the 3 year warranty. I'm not sure that she knew what she was talking about but she told me that the 3 year warranty only applies until I leave university. Since I'm in the second year my warranty would run out next year. This seems odd to me. Is she correct or is she just trying to push the Apple Care sale?

EDIT:

I've done some researching and what she said is untrue. The three year warranty is free and is for 3 years, shocking I know.... I rang to cancel it and claim some money back and they said I have to wait till my iMac is delivered... Weird.

13. vodouman thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The tracking updated all of a sudden this evening and Is now due for delivery tomorrow. I'm not in most of tomorrow. Devastated :(

14. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Apologies for not posting back in time. But I never had that issue so I think you're right to say she was trying to force Applecare on you.

So are they saying you have to cancel the entire order when you receive it? Or that they'll discount the amount appropriately when you receive it? I imagine its the former and what a pain in the ass that would be. But then the applecare is like £140ish so it'd be worth it.

And damnit I want to buy my iMac now. Sadly my girlfriend is very keen on the idea of a free iPod touch if I buy in September 2011 (that back to school promo) so I have to wait.:(

15. josh1231 macrumors regular

I would disagree with the first poster, I don't believe the I7 could ever be considered to be a waste of money, no matter what you are going to do with it.

This thing is going to rock! It's going to work great for games, be great for photo and video editing, and anything else you can think to do with it.

I have the I5, only because I didn't have the patience for the I7 to be shipped, however the I7 certainly looks to be worth the money judging by the benchmarks over the I5.

Enjoy your purchase.

16. vodouman thread starter macrumors regular

The iMac turned up this afternoon. It is INSANE! I love it :D It's almost too big. I don't think I would ever buy a 30 inch model if one were ever to exist. I got some awesome benchmarks on it too :) Tomorrow I'm going to format it (I always do it when I get a new mac just for the sake of it). Install Windows through boot camp and get to moving my music, movies and photos back in :) Then I have lots of coursework to catch up on :(

17. josh1231 macrumors regular

I format every PC I get upon arrival, but I've never considered doing the same with a new Mac. Apple doesn't seem to bog them down with crap, like most PC manufacturers do. Let me know if it makes any difference, perhaps I will start doing this when I get a new one as well.

I'd buy a 50 inch model if they made it. :D

I actually bought a second screen, a brand new HP 24" 1080p monitor. This was supposed to be a great monitor, but when it was next to the Imac, it looked terrible. I was amazed at how much of a difference it made.

Now if someone would release a 27" monitor with higher than 1080p resolution that didn't cost a fortune, I'd be all over it. And if there is such a product, someone please let me know,