IMAC just purchased! MISTAKE or NOT??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by squall20011, Oct 8, 2009.

  1. squall20011 macrumors member

    Oct 8, 2009
    Hey guys,

    I'm pretty sure all of you know alot better then I do about the possible upgrades coming for the Imacs. I heard that they would be happening within the next few weeks but I just bought a new fully decked out imac (best option) yesterday and was wondering if I should just wait it out or will these new macs only have small upgrades to them, like slimmer sizes and a few power boosts?

    Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.
  2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

    Jul 25, 2003
    Did you open it yet? If not, I'd wait to see if a new one is released within the return period. If you opened it, then I think you can still return it within ten days but you pay a restocking fee. Can someone else chime in here and confirm this?
  3. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    14 days + 10% restocking fee in US.
  4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    It's 14 days. Who knows if or even when new iMacs will hit. Rumors are rumors. The good news is the OP has a fully functional computer right there whereas the rumors only talk of a fully functional computer. ;)
  5. squall20011 thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 8, 2009
    hmm so they were only rumors and nothing but? I thought for some reason that Apple mentioned there would be upgrades to the systems soon. I could be wrong. so you guys think I should just not open it? It should be shipped to me by tomorrow and arrive sometime next week. I dont know how long I can wait to not open or use it lol I'm a graphic designer and require it for work, my old G4 Powerbook died on me.
  6. nutmac macrumors 68040

    Mar 30, 2004
    Since it was Apple who leaked Google AdSense ads for updated iMac, Mac mini, and MacBook late last week, it will happen very soon.
  7. eawmp1 macrumors 601


    Feb 19, 2008
    If it has not been shipped, cancel order and if you can wait 1-2 weeks, wait. If the specs on the iMac you ordered are going to last you for a few years and you promise not to be on here whining if new ones come out after you purchased this one, let it ship and be happy.
  8. NathanCH macrumors 65816


    Oct 5, 2007
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'd cancel this shipment and wait because new designs will hurt your resale value.
  9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601


    Feb 24, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    If it wasn't this close, I would just keep the computer. Now that it's expected, I would wait so the same thing doesn't happen to you like it did with the MacBook buyers who complained that "Apple screwed them" when the made the 13-inch into a MacBook Pro.
  10. squall20011 thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 8, 2009
    The only reason why Im so hesitant to cancel the order, is because I dont want this upgrade to be some slight change. If you look at the timeline of how Imacs are upgraded, its every 2 years. The intel imac came out 2008, so wouldnt that mean a major upgrade would be happening in 2010 or around then? If there just making slim imacs and minor changes, im not really interested in that.
  11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604


    Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah, it may happen soon, but no one knows what kind of changes will be made...
  12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    You can't prove this. Yes, there was adsense leaked but really, it could very well be bogus. NO ONE knows what will happen and if they're talking then they're risking their jobs.

    Return it, stop the order, whatever. You may as well now since you worked yourself up into a frenzy anyway.
  13. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Jun 20, 2007
    I would cancel the order.

    If you customized it at all, and it is prepared for shipment, you are stuck with the machine (if in the US).
  14. spice weasel macrumors 65816

    Jul 25, 2003
    I thought that the strength of the recent rumors was partly based on the sudden increase in shipping times for iMacs and minis. I see that iMacs are shipping within 24 hours from the Apple Store. Maybe it was just minis that were in short supply then.

    Anyway, to the OP: if this is a machine that is necessary for your work, then there's little you can do but get a new one and hope for the best. If you don't absolutely need it right now, I'd wait a week at least to see what pans out.
  15. mx12 macrumors newbie

    Oct 25, 2008
    iMac shipping now at 1-3 days for 2.66

    Now the shipping time for the iMac 24 inch 2.66 GHz is now 1-3 days.
  16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603


    Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    The Intel iMac came out in 2006.
    Flip a coin on returning it or not cause no one here has any certain information about anything. We only can look at the timeline of updates and rumor and predict.

    I say cancel and wait until 2010 at least.
  17. nutmac macrumors 68040

    Mar 30, 2004
    Perhaps the upgrade won't be significant for you, although rumor mills point to redesigned iMac with a couple of major new features (one of which is widely speculated to be Blu-Ray). In addition, price cut is a strong possibility, as well as redesigned keyboard and mouse.

    Significant change that I am looking for is quad processor, but that doesn't appear to be likely, at least for lower-end configurations.

    Then again, other than Apple themselves, no one can prove upcoming Apple products with 100% certainty. That said, AdSense leaks were real and only Apple can push AdSense ads that point to their domain names.
  18. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

    Sep 27, 2008
    Nope. The Intel iMac came out in 2006. As a matter of fact, I'm typing this from my Intel iMac that was purchased in March of 2006.

    But back on-topic to your original question: If I were in your shoes, the choice would be clear (for me). If you can somehow wait for up to 2-3 weeks, I would. If you can't (because you really need the new computer), then I absolutely use the new iMac when it arrives.

    If you decide to wait, call Apple to let them know, and then do not accept delivery when the iMac arrives -- it will save you shipping costs and the hassle of shipping it back.

  19. meagain macrumors 68030

    Nov 18, 2006
    Since when in recent years has new iMacs not been released at this time of year? Why do you doubt they'll be released when everything points to it all over the place?

    I'll bet my house they are coming out this or next month.
  20. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

    Nov 19, 2003
    the first intel iMacs came out in January 2006, that's pretty recent.
  21. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a


    Mar 17, 2009
    11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    If your computer you are using now works fine, (which I assume it does considering you are on MR) wait. I suggest returning it unopened and waiting for the next update, be it a spec bump or an iMac revolution... :p
  22. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

    Mar 12, 2007
    I would personally return it. I wouldn't buy a Mac if it was likely for an update to be coming out in a couple of months, unless I actually needed it.
  23. squall20011 thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 8, 2009
    Ok so here's a few updates after talking to several Apple reps. Every single person I talked to said they have NO idea when the new imacs are coming out but to be watching for the change online. With that said, I asked what my options were after I received the computer and I was told I have 14 days to return the system unopened and if i do decide to open it, it will cost a 10% restocking fee. The total of my system was $3255.

    I also asked about the possibility of a refund of the difference if the current systems went down in price and I keep getting the same answer, we do not know at this time. I also was given a few examples about ipods and when upgrades were made to them and customers called in to complain about it and were given the difference back. So im hoping that could be the case for me as well.

    At this point im just going to hold onto the box and not open it until the 14th day. If anything new comes out , then I can change my order and just send it back and only pay the shipping fee. I just find it kind of lame that apple would make there customers go through all this and still allow us to purchase older systems when clearly something is coming out sooner or later. At least give us a date and a heads up. $3000 is a lot of money to just toss around.
  24. yanquis macrumors regular

    Aug 26, 2009
    how did u manage to spend over $3200 on an imac?? :eek: i think the top model costs like $2100.

    btw, its pretty much certain that something new is coming out. i dont get the people who say "its just a rumor, buy now blah blah blah". if you can wait, u should ALWAYS wait, if an update is all but guaranteed to be around the corner. it just makes no fiscal sense otehrwise. anyway youve got a nice computer either way. now assuming the 'rumor' comes to pass, your 3K will go a LOT farther than it was going to (assuming apple does the upgrades right). waiting + returning might be frustrating for you but it will be well worth it!
  25. squall20011 thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 8, 2009
    I'm Canadian. And after Apple care and the AtI Radeon Uprade + $129.99 printer (theres a promotion going on, $100 mail in rebate), the total came to $3200.

    3.06 Ghz
    4Gigs ram
    600 Gig Hardrive
    Ati Radeon Graphics Card
    Canon Pixma All In One Printer ($129.99)

Share This Page