iMac keeps crashing after Catalina upgrade

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
Yep. I'm in that thread too.

It's very odd (and quite disheartening) that this issue isn't more widespread. My hopes for it getting fixed are fading.

I've rolled back to Mojave, it's the only way of getting any work done. That's the best advice I can offer.

Reactions: pdxplm

xWhiplash

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2009
Do any of you have external monitors? I fixed my 4+ daily kernel panics by getting the Radeon 5700XT and using my external monitors through the eGPU.

pdxplm

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2006
Portland, OR
Had to revert back to Mojave on my 2018 MBA. The display drivers really hosed my system. Back to Mojave on my 2013 MBP as well. I may try to install a clean version on my 2012 Mini as it's not my daily machine.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2002
If you've not, try turning all the Eco settings Off. i.e. make sure your screen never goes black and your Mac never goes to sleep. Once I did that, the KP's stop. I don't use an external monitor but do have a 3rd party SSD installed in my iMac , a condition which others have also had issues with.

bpeeps

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2011
Back your stuff up. Boot into recovery mode (shift, option, command R). Erase the Catalina volume. Reinstall the OS your computer came with. Sidecar and the few improvements Catalina offers simply isn't worth it, Catalina is unusuable.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
White Mntns, Arizona
Catalina is perfectly usable for hundreds of thousands of people. Just because some people on these forums are having bugs and other issues does not mean it is unusable. Catalina works just fine on my 2019 iMac and 2017 MacBook Air. I hope all of you are offering feedback to Apple so they can note all of these issues and rectify them.

• Haha
Reactions: bpeeps

bpeeps

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2011
Catalina is perfectly usable for hundreds of thousands of people. Just because some people on these forums are having bugs and other issues does not mean it is unusable. Catalina works just fine on my 2019 iMac and 2017 MacBook Air. I hope all of you are offering feedback to Apple so they can note all of these issues and rectify them.
Valuable contribution to a thread where people's machines are crashing. Context matters.

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
Do any of you have external monitors? I fixed my 4+ daily kernel panics by getting the Radeon 5700XT and using my external monitors through the eGPU.
2x LG 4k screens; nothing fancy. Through a CalDigit TS3+ dock.

Catalina is perfectly usable for hundreds of thousands of people. Just because some people on these forums are having bugs and other issues does not mean it is unusable.
This is absolutely true, and that's what worries me. This just isn't going to have a high priority for them. There seem to be plenty other fires to put out. But this thing dies reliably within 10 minutes for me on a clean install.

I hope all of you are offering feedback to Apple so they can note all of these issues and rectify them.
I've filed a report on Feedback Assistant. I won't deal with their customer service anymore. I spent a year with them and a faulty 2018 MBP. Absolutely the worst consumer experience I've ever had. I wrote it up:

Reactions: MacManiac76