iMac keeps freezing, needing hard restart

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yoricardo, Jan 8, 2016.

1. yoricardo macrumors member

I have a 21.5 inch, mid 2011 iMac and recently it keeps freezing. The mouse will move around the screen but I cannot click on anything. The only way to clear it is to do a hard reboot by pressing the on/off button at the rear of the computer. It is particularly bad just after waking from sleep.

I had a similar problem a year or two ago and the only thing that cleared it was a complete wipe of my Mac and then reinstalled everything, but I shouldn't need to do this every year or so?

Weirdly, I have also had these random pink squares coming up on the screen (images attached) which would seem to suggest that it is a graphics issue.

IMG_0041.JPG IMG_0043.JPG

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well you iMac being that old dust could have been sucked into the iMac over that time. Have you or paid someone go clear the dust out of it before you give up on it? Plus I'm amazed that hard drive has lasted so long. So to kill two birds in one stone throw also put in a SSD!

3. BLUEDOG314 macrumors regular

BLUEDOG314

Looks like a video card issue. When you say it was fixed with a reinstall before, do you mean the pink squares as well? Usually artifacts like that aren't caused by software. Try booting in safe mode by holding shift during boot process. It may take longer to boot but it will only load necessary drivers for your computer to run so you can potentially narrow things down. You could also download and install OS X to a usb drive and try booting from that to rule out software altogether.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Do you have an Apple Store nearby?
    I'd take it in to them, let them diagnose it.
    Even if they want too much to fix it, and you decline the repair, may give you a handle on what's wrong...

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Dust? Do you seriously think the issue is dust?

My mid-2011 iMac had similar issues out of the box. Apple was able to trace the issue to a bad video card. They swapped the video card and almost 5 years later, it's still running great. And I've not "paid someone to go clear the dust out of it".

To the OP, I second the comment to get it to an Apple store for evaluation, diagnosis and repair.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I have seen plenty of iMacs that are over 3 years old with dust inside them messing with electrical connections. Sometimes cleaning the dust out will extend a like of any computer. A big clue if your Mac was dust it it I'd you have to constantly dust in your home! The iMac fan suck air inside themselves to cool things down and over time pull in dust!

7. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Doh. I never said that dust was not sucked into the machine... and I fully understand how air-cooled computers operate. But there is NO WAY that dust is causing the video distortion, or the system freeze-ups.

My money is on a bad video card.