Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kraigballa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I don't know what it is, but my iMac every so often makes a popping noise out of the speakers. I was thinking that maybe it was growl giving me some sort of notification, but I never saw a pop-up from growl. Any ideas what may be causing this noise? It happens a couple times a day and I haven't changed what I do on my mac. So I'm not sure what it could have been that I did.

Thanks for your time!

Kerel

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
Weimar Germany
i've had the same problem as you have.
In my case it would pop once after i started up my iMac and around half an hour to on hour later it would pop.

I was lucky and my pop went away after i opened my iMac a couple of times and build in an ssd. But this might not be an option for you.

I also contacted an apple service provider with this problem but they never heard of it.

I personally think it has to do with static energy building up inside your iMac and it releases that energy by this pop.

The problem is it that it's hard to prove because the pops happen randomly and you might have to wait some time before it happens.

You can try contacting apple. Maybe they know what it is. I never did.
btw i have a 21" imac base 2011 model.

Good luck.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This type of issue can also be caused by interference from other devices and a bad ground in the wiring of your home. Try moving the plug to a socket away from your normal point. Interference eliminators are also available...A must for me in my line of work, and they are pretty cheap too....The issue is almost certainly not a fault with your Mac.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_6mizbwhvxm_b

A small selection of whats around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.