Imac keeps on asking for passwords

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imacuser84, Jul 2, 2011.

1. imacuser84 macrumors newbie

Hello People,
    I am new to this site, I switched on my Imac this morning and it asked me for my log in password which it usually does, but then it asked for it again and again and again. Till I eventually restarted my Imac, and it worked fine.

Just wondering what caused this is it a virus or an eccentric glitch or any other problems?

Also does anyone know why the apple forums are saying 'We're sorry. Your account could not be created due to system issues.' Whenever I try to log in there.

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a virus. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    Did you check to make sure your Caps Lock key isn't on?

3. imacuser84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,
    I did check for caps lock, it would just go the purplish wallpaper for a few secs and just take me back o login.

Thanks

4. dgr macrumors member

Although I do not think this situation is a virus, the best viruses around are the ones that are not known. That's why there are heuristics checks with many of the Windows based scanners. I find it interesting that OSX includes it's own version if user access control which Microsoft was heavily criticized for when they implemented it in Windows Vista. Don't know if it works the same with the whole dual user/admin token but my guess is that it is.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Heuristics are used to identify variants of known viruses. Since there never has been a Mac OS X virus in the wild, there is nothing on which to base heuristics analysis. Therefore, no antivirus can protect Mac OS X from a virus that doesn't yet exist. They have no idea what to look for.