iMac keeps waking/not sleeping since latest update

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Steppy, May 16, 2012.

1. Steppy, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

Steppy macrumors member

Hi

Since I installed the latest Lion update (10.7.4) a few days ago my iMac keeps waking. Yesterday I shut it down completely and left it unplugged for half an hour before restarting it and have also noticed it won't going to sleep either.

I have not made any changes since the update, so I am wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have searched, but I can't see any posts about it :(

Thank you.

2. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

Are you sure it's not just the fact that the 'reopen windows windows when logging back in' is checked when you click shut down? It might just be that everything opens back up when you restart which makes it look like it didn't turn off?

3. Steppy thread starter macrumors member

No, whenever I know its going to have to do a restart after an update I always close everything down before I let the update install. I also closed everything down before I did the restart too.

It will be interesting to know if its woken up again when I get home from work :confused:

4. Steppy thread starter macrumors member

Just got home and sure enough my iMac has woken.

Not sure how long for.... is there a way to see when it woke?

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Sometimes this can be something as silly as mouse sensitivity. When may cat rubs up against my desk, it jiggles the mouse ever so slightly, which wakes the computer..

6. Steppy thread starter macrumors member

Its in my study and the house is empty. I only use the Magic Trackpad.

Has to be something to do with the last update as absolutley nothing has changed in my set up/environment :(

7. ToomeyND macrumors 6502

Do you have your iphone set to sync wirelessly? And is it perhaps set to wake your computer when it attempts to update?

8. Steppy thread starter macrumors member

Not an iPhone user... yet, but my iPad syncs wirelessly, but like I mentioned, I haven't changed anything in my setup or my routine.

Normally I just walk away from my iMac knowing that within 10 minutes it will go to sleep as per settings in Energy Saver, the exception to that is when I am downloading anything and then it will sleep once that has finished.

I think I am going to have to put it to sleep with the button and wait to see exactly when it wakes, but I don't really fancy waiting as I have no idea how long it will be. For all I know it could be off for an hour before waking or it could be 8 hours, thats why I was wondering if there was a way of finding out when it wakes up.

I have found out that typing 'uptime' in terminal shows how long its been since it was turned off I think, but as mine shows "18:49 up 1 day, 1:02" this must include time its sleeping.

9. forty2j, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Correlation does not necessarily imply causation. I wouldn't want to rule out other factors simply because the timing seems to coincide with the OS X update.

I hadn't yet installed 10.7.4. I just did, so I can also watch for this behavior (if the cats let me). I looked in the energy saver options before and after 10.7.4, and they were exactly the same.

10. Steppy thread starter macrumors member

Shut it down again last night, left it for half an hour unplugged then restarted and let it run without opening anything and an hour later it was still running.

Decided then to shut it down and leave it unplugged all night and thats how I left it this morning before I left for work. I do not want to leave the house knowing that it could be running all day.

I know its perfectly safe to leave them running and I know many do, but I dont see the point when it wakes up so instantly from sleep (or at least it used to) and of course its not wasting energy.

Did some more digging around the net last night and the only thing I could find was this:

The latest update to OS X Lion - OS X 10.7.4 - is causing some issues for users including lost network connections, problems with RAID storage devices, frustration at lost resolution options, and more.

Nothing about sleep, but maybe that comes under the and more part :confused:

11. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

To find out what's going on, do the following:

Clear all running apps.

Fire up Console and clear System Log file, and leave open.

Put to sleep.

If it sleeps, then wakes, check new log for info - beginning where it says "~ will sleep". Under that, it should tell you how long it slept for, and what caused it to wake.

If the cause is given as due to port x, you have a USB problem.

12. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

Hmmm have you tried going onto System Preferences>Energy Saver> and making sure 'Wake for network access' is turned off?

13. Steppy thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I will try that tonight when I get home.

----------

That is enabled and always has been and it hasn't caused any problems before. I believe this is what lets my iMac stay awake when I am not there and whilst downloading, but sleep once the download has finished.

I have found a thread on another forum with people having the exact same problem since updating to 10.7.4, so at least I know I am not alone.

14. Rorlow macrumors member

15. supermariofan25 macrumors regular

supermariofan25

Bluetooth Keyboard works :)

Maybe try the keyboard, i just updated to 10.7.4 and nothing is wrong but before even with a 3rd party mouse with wireless usb and not bluetooth and it don't work but the keyboard always works for me, also your iMac shouldn't be to far from you so just use to power button is frustrated :)

16. Steppy thread starter macrumors member

I use the Magic Trackpad and Apple Bluetooth keyboard and the only thing plug into USB is the charge for my iPad which I haven’t been using since the problem so as to eliminate it.

Putting it to sleep via the button isn’t so much of a pain, but the fact that it wakes itself up for no reason and can be running all night whilst I’m a sleep or all day when I’m at work is :mad:

17. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Mine slept all night on 10.7.4.. well, it was asleep before I was and I was awake before it was, but I didn't point a video camera at it to determine if there was anything happening in between..

Something silly to check: how are the batteries on your wireless kb/trackpad? I can imagine a low battery situation sending false signals.

18. Steppy thread starter macrumors member

I have just changed the Track Pad batteries, but I havent checked the keyboard. I will do so when I get home, thanks.

19. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Updates have been known to do this in the past, (not just 10.7.4).

My iMac (10.6.8) mysteriously awoke at 1am the night after the update.

I tracked mine down to random changes in:
    System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> Schedule
    (There are a couple of settings there that can auto start the computer if checked.)

20. Steppy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, just checked and they are as before. I have also put new batteries in my keyboard, but its still the same.

Guess I am going to have to shut it down each night until the find a fix :rolleyes:

21. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Did you run the Console check?

22. Steppy thread starter macrumors member

No, I am not familiar with that. What does it do?

I have only had my iMac since September last year and this is my first issue.

Strange thing is last night I left it downloading and at 6am this morning it was still downloading, but when I got up at 7:30 it had finished and put itself to sleep :eek:

I checked my download was ok, but I didnt have time time to see if it went back to sleep after 10 minutes as I couldnt spare the time, so I will have to wait until tonight to see if its behaving itself again :)

23. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Console holds the list of all log files. It basically will tell you everything the Mac is doing - especially the System log.

When you have a problem, it should be the first app to check things out with.

24. Steppy thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, I will check it out tonight.

25. Steppy thread starter macrumors member

As an update, got home tonight and my iMac was still sleeping! :)

Used it as normal, left it while I had dinner, went back to it and it was seeping!!!

I have no idea why it has suddenly started behaving itself as I haven't changed any settings, it's just exactly as it was before... Very strange, but glad it has fixed itself :)