iMac Kernel panics at different points during start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ethernet76, Nov 30, 2007.

1. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone else had problems with their mac randomly kernel panicking at different points during start up?

I tried doing an archive and install, repairing both permissions and disk structure, and reseting the PRAM.

I'd test the hardware, but I can't find the CD for the 800 G4 iMac. I don't believe it's hardware based because one out of five times it will start up and be stable for weeks or months.

Any ideas, or know where I can get a hardware check CD?

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

For the hardware test CD, try ebay or call Apple, but it's not going to give you a definitive answer. The problem may indeed be hardware-based. If you've already reinstalled the OS only to see the problems continue then I think a hardware problem is more likely. (Assuming you have a virgin OS installation and haven't installed any software that has installed kernel extensions etc.)

It could be a physically malfunctioning drive. There are many low-level errors that can crop up that a disk check will not reveal. Apple's own disk checker in Disk Utility is cursory at best. Try totally wiping the drive and reinstalling. If that doesn't work, try replacing the HD, or installing/booting off a firewire external HD.

It could also be bad RAM or a RAM module may need to be reseated. Try removing the modules, swapping them around and plugging them back in.