Imac keyboard issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dubina, Jul 5, 2015.

1. dubina, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015

dubina macrumors member

My wife told my kid to clean her IMac keyboard with windex and a cloth. After that, the keyboard didn't work. Specifically, the ZXCVBNM,./ keys didn't work, but the other keys seem to be ok.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac12,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F

SMC Version (system): 1.71f22

Serial Number (system): C02FTAJJDHJF

Hardware UUID: 6108E235-3DC9-567B-836B-11AC0DFF0945

How do I troubleshoot the problem? The "cleaning" took place a week ago, and the effects of cleaning (noted above) continue today.

How to fix the keyboard if it can be fixed? What to do (how and what to buy) if the keyboard cannot be repaired?

The easiest thing, I suppose, would be to buy an exact keyboard replacement, but that might not be the best thing to do.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You could just buy any wired generic Windows keyboard. It'd still work.

3. dubina, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015

dubina thread starter macrumors member

Let me try a different tack.

I saw a guy on You Tube fix a messed up apple keyboard (like the one I have) by taking out the two batteries, running hot water over (and under) the keys, then, drying the keyboard out over a period of a day or two, then putting in new batteries and booting for bluetooth to "discover" the keyboard. It worked for him; why not for me?

So I did that, followed his example. Now, however, my iMac dry, clean keyboard is not being "discovered". I think it is discoverable, since that involves turning the keyboard on with the off/on switch on the top right side. Pressing the switch gives me a small green light that stays on for maybe 5 seconds, then goes out. The CapLocks key also has a steady green light when it is pressed.

But still the little circle spins, trying to connect to the (name) keyboard, not doing it, then prompting me to make sure the keyboard is "discoverable".

What am I doing wrong? What to do now?

Thanks,

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Chances are that the keyboard's Bluetooth module may be damaged.

Seriously. Just use a wired keyboard and mouse. It will definitely work.

5. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094