Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photoman60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2017
I seem to be experiencing a rather odd problem. My Caps key will not light up when pressed, however, will type in Caps but very slowly which also slows down the computer when in Upper case. When in Lowercase all is fine. Did a restart and the problem has vanished, however, computers being what they are, it will likely pop up again. I am using a 2013 27' in iMac. Any help, tips or clues as to what I am dealing with would be very much appreciated

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
It's likely that the issue was not with the keyboard, but with the Mac's performance. The performance issue was likely resolved when you restarted.

Yes, issues do have a way of coming back. Generally, when the computer is having performance issues, you'll have problems with both the keyboard and the mouse, because neither of them are the root cause of the problem.

Reactions: vkd

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
I have intermittent problems with my Magic Trackpad, sometimes the pointer just sticks on the screen and no amount of swiping and pressing will move it. My Magic Keyboard too sometimes ceases to function but luckily I have found a great solution to these problems; just put some new batteries in and you're good to go. :p

photoman60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2017
It's likely that the issue was not with the keyboard, but with the Mac's performance. The performance issue was likely resolved when you restarted.

Yes, issues do have a way of coming back. Generally, when the computer is having performance issues, you'll have problems with both the keyboard and the mouse, because neither of them are the root cause of the problem.

Thanks so much, I assumed that the problem (which seems to be resolved for now), is not with the mouse but lies deeper within the system. If this iMac can hold out until year's end, I am looking at replacing it with a 5K iMac

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
...I am using a 2013 27' in iMac....
Good info but ...

... it is far from enough for any of use to be any real help. How about letting us in on the secret: what keyboard are you using?

There is no such thing as "an iMac keyboard". Apple has always offered at least two different keyboards with the iMac, and each of those are offered in a range of variants depending on language.

photoman60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2017
Good info but ...

... it is far from enough for any of use to be any real help. How about letting us in on the secret: what keyboard are you using?

There is no such thing as "an iMac keyboard". Apple has always offered at least two different keyboards with the iMac, and each of those are offered in a range of variants depending on language.

Fair enough, should have referenced the keyboard. It is the Apple Magic Keyboard (latest model).

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Bluetooth connections can "go wonky", to use the technical term, for a variety of reasons. I've seen Apple Bluetooth keyboards malfunction due to weak batteries and for odd/corrupted driver issues on the host computer. Recharging, or replacing batteries in the older models, can resolve some issues sometimes. Rebooting the host computer can also "fix" the issue since it reloads the necessary drivers from disc.

I've also had Bluetooth devices, including keyboards and mice, that have gone wonky or totally failed, both on Macs and on Windows, return to functionality by deleting the device from the Bluetooth device list and then repairing.

photoman60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2017
Bluetooth connections can "go wonky", to use the technical term, for a variety of reasons. I've seen Apple Bluetooth keyboards malfunction due to weak batteries and for odd/corrupted driver issues on the host computer. Recharging, or replacing batteries in the older models, can resolve some issues sometimes. Rebooting the host computer can also "fix" the issue since it reloads the necessary drivers from disc.

I've also had Bluetooth devices, including keyboards and mice, that have gone wonky or totally failed, both on Macs and on Windows, return to functionality by deleting the device from the Bluetooth device list and then repairing.

Thanks so much for the feedback and help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.