iMac keyboard layout with Lion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Objector, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Objector macrumors member

Hi everyone,

After I've read that the keyboard layout had changed for Lion, I felt like the F4 button on my keyboard had became even more useless. I've never used dashboard that often, but I would like to have a dedicated keyboard key for Launchpad.

I called Apple and the person I talked didn't know things had changed and it sounded like he even didn't know what Dashboard and Launchpad were... He said he would ask someone else and mail me later. He mailed me software solution, were you need to install 3th party applications to remap the button. I don't want to clutter my iMac with such useless software, so I hope I'll get my keyboard exchanged.

Anyone else tried to exchange his/her keyboard for this specific reason?

2. Somian macrumors member

Somian

umm… u want a new wireless keyboard? First, i thoughgt that it's just about the printing but actually, the keyboards are a bit different and behave differently.

can you tell me about the software solutions?

3. 88 King, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

You can disable the F4 function in Keyboard Shortcuts and use BetterTouchTool to assign new function for the F4 key.

http://blog.boastr.net/?page_id=1722

works fine in Lion.

I still got the wireless keyboard for SL in plastic package as I prefer the USB keyboard, I'm interested in the possibility of exchange for the newer version as well.

Please keep us updated.

P.S. It seems you can't unassigned the F4 key as Show Dashboard even with the shortcut unchecked, also don't look like you can assign new custom shortcuts?

Either I can't follow simple instruction under Keyboard Shortcuts, or there is a major bug in Lion.

4. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

This is what you need to do to assign F5 or any other key to lunchpad.

Click on the Apple

Click on System Preferences

Click on the keyboard icon

Click on Keyboard Shortcuts

Check mark Show Launchpad

Now press the F5 key

That's all!

5. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

The last step don't work for my copy of Lion, I just get a error tone like the one for unable to accept keyboard input.

6. Objector thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, for me it worked! I'm curious what Apple will respond to my mail... While mailing and calling with them, I had the feeling they didn't really understand what I was talking about... :p

7. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

Maybe your F5 key is being used for something else. Try another key.

8. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yeah .. just assign LaunchPad to F5 or F6 key on "old" wireless keyboard. Plain and simple.

It seems pointless to upgrade the old wireless keyboard to so-called "new" .. if I can get it for free, maybe .. but paying for the upgrade? Even for $1 .. hell no :D

The new keyboard don't do numpad .. do it? :p .. so no .. thank you :D .. and I can do LaunchPad from this old keyboard just fine

9. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Click the show launch pad bar, it turns blue, then click on the bar right where F5 would be listed, it then lets you input a value.