iMac keyboard recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by saz25, Dec 29, 2013.

1. saz25 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am about to become an iMac user. I've been a PC user for 20+ years and have now decided to come over to this side of the world.

I do, however, like the PC-type keyboards with its tactile and larger keys. I've seen and used an Apple keyboard but not sure I like it.

Can you recommend a good alternative that has a PC-like feel?
    thanks,
    Steve

2. Avro macrumors regular

Avro

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Get the wired Apple keyboard. I can understand you not being used to it, but it is one of the best keyboards I've ever used. The bluetooth wireless version is lame.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would try to avoid buying a PC keyboard. I tried one and after mapping out all the keys, it did work great. But when compared to the Mac, it was just plain ugly. If you are looking for a great mechanical keyboard, I have heard some great things about Das Keyboard. They do have a Mac version too with the appropriate keys.

5. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

I have one of these

I have changed some of the key mappings a little bit so the Windows Key is the option and the Alt key is the command key.

I did not use the mouse that came with this as i prefer the magic mouse.

6. Bear macrumors G3

A bit pricey, but the das Keyboard for Mac is nice. I was lucky to get a refurbished one through Amazon for a real good price.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I never used one but heard they are pretty good, especially since they are mechanical.

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I like the wired Apple keyboard because of the numeric keypad and forward delete key. Feel is pretty good. Had to use my old Lenovo desktop in the basement today and thought the keyboard was really weird. I had gotten so used to the Apple keyboards that it didn't feel normal. Give it some time.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

+1. I use this and it is excellent. Do note though that it is noisy, so you may want to look at the quiet pro instead. I love the noise of the keys, but my wife did not.

10. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ I do, however, like the PC-type keyboards with its tactile and larger keys. I've seen and used an Apple keyboard but not sure I like it.
    Can you recommend a good alternative that has a PC-like feel? ]]

If your current keyboard is USB, you should be able to plug it into the iMac and use it (although you may have to make adjustments for the "command", "option", and "control" keys).

Keyboards and mice are very subjective devices. What feels right for one person, won't for another. Personally, I don't think Apple has made a decent keyboard since the "ADB" days long ago (when their keyboards more closely resembled PC keyboards).

Same thing goes with the mouse. If you have a USB mouse and prefer its "feel" to that of the Apple pointing devices, you can also continue to use that.

11. jojoba macrumors 68000

I use a Logitech K811 which I'm very happy with. Typing is very smooth and relatively quiet.