iMac keyboard redesign?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rogier1991, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Rogier1991 macrumors member

Today, I was considering if the iMac needs a keyboard redesign. If Apple will update the Macbook Pro and remove the old Macbook there is no computer with disk tray anymore. The button on the keyboard to warp out the disk will become useless then... What if the new iMac will keep running Bluetooth when its in standby mode, so a on button on the keyboard can boot up the iMac? That will be great! Do you think there will be possibilities like that?

2. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Sure, anything is possible and I'm sure many members have a list of things they would like changed.

- Wireless Numeric KB
    - Illuminated Keys
    - Black Keys
    - An Ergonomic Design
    - Built-in Reacharble Batteries

3. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

I'd like spill-proof / washable keyboards to become standard. Same too for iPods, etc.

4. kaellar macrumors 6502

And I'd like to see aluminum mechanical keyboard with the backlight. Any other thoughts?

5. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

6. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see a del key on the small wireless keyboard. Would love illuminated keys as well.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This is the one thing that would probably make me go back to the Apple KB. At the moment, I'm using a Logitech wireless KB which used to be my Fiancee's. I don't use the mouse that came with it, the MM is fine, but the Apple KB, wired or wireless just won't cut it for me, and a re-design is urgently needed. My Fiancee uses the BT KB on our MP, but I just can't seem to get on with it at all. The key spacing is wrong, and I find myself hitting the wrong ones time and again...It's okay for games if you get used to it, but my Imac is staying with the Logitech for now.

The wired KB is still in it's box for emergency boot commands...:)

8. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

You can still attach an external optical drive to your Mac so it isn't exactly useless.

I can't wrap my mind around the fact the keys are still white.

9. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Having an illuminated keyboard and built in recharge would be pretty slick. I'd probably upgrade if that were the case.

10. CtotheP macrumors regular

They need to update the old Apple Ergonomic Keyboard and bring it back!

11. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

all their laptop computers have backlit keys now. they are being lazy about updating their blue tooth keyboard to it because it doesnt generate the kind of money the iphone does.

12. Serban Suspended

yes they should make them backlit , because now are current 2 empty buttons on wireless keyboard and the "eject" that is useful only for sleep/turn off display shortcut keys

13. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

- Not necessary. Dedicated keypad is redundant, function key allows for keypad keys, and there are enough 3rd party solutions already.
    - YES
    - I like the white right now. But I wouldn't complain about choice.
    - In contrast to Apple's minimalist design philosophy.
    - Takes the "wireless" out of "wireless keyboard" Not going to happen. Besides, my batteries are rechargeable already.

14. Bear macrumors G3

Actually a full sized wireless keyboard that can be used while charging sounds good to me. An illuminated wireless keyboard will drain the batteries too fast.

You forgot to add mechanical keys to the list. I just ordered a DAS mechanical keyboard (which I should get today).

Actually the main keyboard layout is different on the Apple wired keyboard. That's one of the reasons I can't use the wireless keyboard. The layout doesn't feel reasonable to me.

Built in rechargeable batteries seems reasonable to me. Plug it in to the system when it needs charging. Also it can also be used in a location where wireless is an issue. And Apple could go down to one keyboard in its inventory instead of 2 which will save them some money.

15. Shane1905 macrumors regular

You could even do away with a lead to recharge a keyboard if apple were to build two small contacts onto the bottom stand of the iMac with magnets to snap the keyboard into place much like the Smart Cover on an iPad, that way it's just a case of placing the back edge of the keyboard on the top front of the stand to charge when needed. Most likely once every month or so or even once a week if they included backlit keys.

16. Latt macrumors member

17. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Yes its sort of strange because white macbooks are long gone. On the other hand the design is such a classic that it doesnt look old or outdated to me. I actually very much enjoy the key press feedback of my wired alu KB.

I think there is a new design language coming with new Mac Pro, i wouldnt be surprised if it came with redesigned peripherals.

Well it's sure as hell the black keys would definitely match the products better but lets not forget, the keyboard isnt illuminated so the white keys are actually more visible, i think.

I would like to see wired backlit alu KB as well.

18. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

That's a damned cleaver idea! I wonder if they have thought of it.

That said, how often do you change your keyboard batteries? Every 6 months perhaps? It's not really a big deal is it.

19. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Exactly, the layout is slightly different on the full size and it would at least be nice to have an option for wireless.

As far as the charging goes, I have rechargeable batteries in my keyboard too, but it would be nice if it were more like my rechargeable Logitech mouse.

20. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

What if they put a disc drive in the keyboard and then it wirelessly sent the data to the computer?

21. 50548 Guest

22. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Put a whole computer in the underside of the keyboard like a Commodore 64, but with Apple thinness. As half the base of the MacBooks are battery, it could easily be done. But that would be a replacement for the Mini.

A disc drive built into the keyboard wouldn't solve anything. It would be less intrusive in the back of the iMac. And we all know what happened there.

I haven't used the disc drive in my iMac for at least a year. The same is probably the case for many. A plug-in drive seems the right option.

23. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

24. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I'd like;

Backlit

USB 3.0

Touch ID to unlock mac, authenticate buys, software updates, ebay, etc

25. pmarinac macrumors newbie

I think the next evolution of the keyboard should be towards a virtual (projection) display--get rid of all the mechanical limitations of the current flimsy keyboard. Same with the mouse. Once that is done I would like to see a modified stand that allows the monitor to fold flat against the desk, sort of looking like a oversized folded up laptop. But I would take a backlit, silent key keyboard with usb3 in an instant--way more important than cordless in my mind. Why is it that a macbook pro has a far superior keyboard to an iMac?