Imac lagging when I have a Program open

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JSmoove05, Mar 13, 2012.

1. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

I have a 27 imac i7 3.4 with 2 tb and 256 ssd. When i play starcraft 2 and i minimize it or have it in the back ground. The computer lags to type and everything I don't believe this is suppose to be happening. This is very annoying and on my 2009 iMac I didn't have this issue at all what could be the problem. BEcause this is def. something that should be happening at all.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

its showing starcraft 2 at like 35% to like 42% usage. Why is that high and on my old 2.8 iMac i7 it never slowed down at all when i typed or lagged. How is it that just by having this game open and minimized its slowing my computer that much. Cant a SSD support that with no lag with no problems?

4. simsaladimbamba

What about the RAM usage?

5. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. sindekit macrumors member

Are you sure that's how much you're using or how much you free? By the way, how much ram do you have installed?

7. JSmoove05, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its showing the ram being used by this program. I have currently 8GB.

8. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

How Much are of a difference will i see in upgrading from 8gb

How much of a difference will i See from 8gb ram to upgrade to 2x 16gb Ram for a total of 24 gb ram?

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Probably not much at all. I have 16 gig in my iMac, and I barely use six gig of it. It all depends on your usage of the computer and how your page outs look.

10. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its just weird cause my old computer it never lagged like this when I had that program open.

11. simsaladimbamba

You mean, you have two 4 GB RAM modules and want to add another two 8 GB modules?
    Open Activity Monitor during one of your typical uses and select All Processes and then sort by Real Mem to show you the process(es) using up your RAM, and the System Memory tab, and see, if you would benefit from it.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

13. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

It shows like 7.90 GB used So i think this would benefit me to upgrade the memory.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not necessarily. Read my post.

15. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

WHen i rebooted its showing like less then 5gb used. And pages out is zero right now. But when i open say a program like sc2 in the background when i go to type or do anything my computer is laggy but when I close the program its fine. What could be the cause of this?

16. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

I went there and still has not solved my issue. I did everything mentioned there.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

18. simsaladimbamba

I posted that thread for other posters as reference, as it seems to be the same issue you want to absolve with more RAM.