iMac "lamp" has loose arm

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Eugen Mezei, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Eugen Mezei macrumors member

Almost sad the newest buy, an iMac G4 15" is fully equipped (2 GB RAM, and sufficient disk space) so I have nothing to upgrade. (Maybe an overclocking to 1,25 GHz later.

Remains cleaning and minor maintenance:
    1. The upper articulation (behind the flat panel) of the arm is a bit loose, the screen does not stay vertically. Do I need some special tool for the 3 holes on it?
    2. The screen itself has some light scratches. Can I replace the foil with one from a nonworking 15" laptopo?

2. Eugen Mezei thread starter macrumors member

A picture of it. The upper articulation is the one I would like to know how to tighten.

apple-imac-cu-parola-oradea.jpg

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you look for iMac G4 neck adjustment kits - you may find what I found, that the kits, with special tool have been discontinued for years.
    I did find this forum thread, not too old (from 2012), and may be helpful to you.
    http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...597-G4-quot-lamp-quot-articulated-neck-repair
    Appears that the adjustment doesn't need a lot of torque, so you _might_ tighten using some sharp-pointed needle nose pliers, or something similar. Those hinges do wear out, so I don't know how effective a simple adjustment will be for you.

4. gooser macrumors 6502

go to an auto parts supply place and get a set of feeler gauges. use some scissors to make yourself a shim and stick it in the right place. try a few feeler strips to find the correct thickness.

5. Eugen Mezei, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

Eugen Mezei thread starter macrumors member