Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eugen Mezei

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 21, 2015
Almost sad the newest buy, an iMac G4 15" is fully equipped (2 GB RAM, and sufficient disk space) so I have nothing to upgrade. (Maybe an overclocking to 1,25 GHz later.

Remains cleaning and minor maintenance:
1. The upper articulation (behind the flat panel) of the arm is a bit loose, the screen does not stay vertically. Do I need some special tool for the 3 holes on it?
2. The screen itself has some light scratches. Can I replace the foil with one from a nonworking 15" laptopo?

Eugen Mezei

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 21, 2015
A picture of it. The upper articulation is the one I would like to know how to tighten.

apple-imac-cu-parola-oradea.jpg

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you look for iMac G4 neck adjustment kits - you may find what I found, that the kits, with special tool have been discontinued for years.
I did find this forum thread, not too old (from 2012), and may be helpful to you.
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...597-G4-quot-lamp-quot-articulated-neck-repair
Appears that the adjustment doesn't need a lot of torque, so you _might_ tighten using some sharp-pointed needle nose pliers, or something similar. Those hinges do wear out, so I don't know how effective a simple adjustment will be for you.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
go to an auto parts supply place and get a set of feeler gauges. use some scissors to make yourself a shim and stick it in the right place. try a few feeler strips to find the correct thickness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.