iMac Late 07 2.4 vs. Early 08 2.66 dillema

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RyanFromQA, Jun 5, 2008.

1. RyanFromQA macrumors member

RyanFromQA

Hello, sorry if this discussion has been had already, but I searched this forum for it, looked for info on barefeats.com and came up empty.

I'm going in for a 3G iPhone on monday (hopefully!), and I'm also in the market for an iMac, barring a Mac Tower release on Monday (probably not).

So I'm looking at iMacs. The discrete graphics is important to me, and I definitely want the Radeon 256MB. However, I'm on a budget.

I get an educator discount, so the new 2.66 is $1399, pushing the limits of my budget. Now, with the 2.66 right now I'd get an iPod Touch (which I have no use for and could sell), but it's a buy-now and get-rebate deal, which just further extends my budget.

The Refurb 20" with the 2600 graphics is 1099, and at that price I can afford to up the ram to 4GB.

So my question is, will I regret not getting the faster FSB and Ram bus? Is the performance bump of the new models enough to warrant waiting and saving, or will I be satisfied with the performance of the refurb one?

And now to answer the slew of "depends what you do with it" questions. I intend on running VMWare, with Paint Shop Pro X, in tandem with Pixelmator, and text editor for web design. I also do a lot with large photos in Aperture. Also, a planned project is to *FINALLY* edit and compose our wedding video in iMovie and iDVD.

So would I see huge performance jump with the FSB? Enough to push my budget to the limit?

Thanks for any info you can give me!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Buy the 4GB of RAM third party for less than $100. Does that change the math for you?

3. XjeffX macrumors member

see what your campus bookstore has in stock. I picked up a 24" iMac 2.4ghz for $1399 the other day. I also picked up the iPod touch. 4gb of ram was $45 from Fry's after a mail in rebate.

4. RyanFromQA thread starter macrumors member

RyanFromQA

Yeah I was already figuring on about $80 from NewEgg (PNY Optima) for the RAM.

My local colleges don't sell macs, and I'm not interested in the 24" anyhow. I'm just wondering about the speed boost from the FSB being faster.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

IIRC, its around 10% real world difference between the 2. Not really noticeable in most situations.

6. RyanFromQA thread starter macrumors member

RyanFromQA