imac late 09 27" startup/sleep mode problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by flyinhigh, Jan 17, 2014.

1. flyinhigh macrumors member

Hi, this morning while on my imac the screen went straight to black, like it went in to sleep mode but I was active at the time. Couldn't bring it out of sleep. Then couldn't shut it down. Only thing I could do was power off. When I go to start up I get the white screen for few seconds then it goes to black (no start up sounds, no green camera light) Only way that I can tell if it is off or on is by putting my ear to it. Holding down the button I can hear that it shuts down. But when I startup I get the white screen to black no startup sounds. Sometimes when I hold the start button gently I get a few seconds flash of my home screen. I've tried the trouble shooting for 'freezes' and for 'won't turn on or startup' from the manual. No luck. Anyone got any clues to what's going on, how I can fix it? (Staying calm but worried):(
    Imac 27", late 2009, running Mavericks.

2. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Time to take it in to Apple for a diagnostic. Probably the logic board. :(

3. macthefork macrumors 6502

Well, you could try resetting the SMC:

Shut down the computer.
    Unplug the computer's power cord.
    Wait fifteen seconds.
    Attach the computer's power cord.
    Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

If this doesn't help then it is probably a hardware problem, an mentioned, possibly the Logic board. Needs professional diagnostics.

4. macthefork macrumors 6502

5. flyinhigh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, no luck. Few other things to try/look at before off to the $$$shop. advice appreciated.

----------

Thanks, will add it to the list of things to look at today. Much appreciated. One thing is, I'll learn a few things out of this. (..but much rather have it running!)

6. flyinhigh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Checked the site. Entered my serial no., got this response: "The iMac serial number you entered is not eligible for this program. No further action on your part is needed at this time." Presuming this mean mine not one with a faulty seagate HDD installed.