iMac late '09 3.33GHz ATI 4850

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheralSadurns, Nov 13, 2010.

1. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

Hi...

Normally I keep answering some questions of others, but right now I am the one who is a bit indecisive :D.

I could buy a NEW CTO/BTO
    iMac 27" late 09
    3.33 GHz Core2Duo
    4GB Ram PC 8500
    1TB HDD
    ATI Radeon 4850

for 1340€ (tax included)

For reference... I'd have to pay around 1600€ for the baseline 27" iMac late 2010 (3.2 GHz Core i3).

The thing is... I don't really need the iMac... nor did I consider one before seeing this one.
    In fact I am planning to buy the 2011 Mac Pro as soon as it comes out.
    (Cannot afford the current one at the moment, but I will have the money by then).
    I still plan on getting the Mac Pro either way.

So my consideration is as follows. The 27" Cinema Display which I might buy for my upcoming MP would set me back ~1000€. So for a modest 340€ more I could get it, an entire computer included.
    By the time the 2011 MP comes out I could then use it as a sort of Cinema Display... or sell it on ebay w/o losing too much money I guess.

So my question to you guys is... do you think it is a good deal for that price, considering I am planning to buy a Mac Pro next year and maybe get an ACD for it...

post scriptum:
    In case you wonder why I want to buy a Mac Pro...
    I'd love to have one for it's upgradability. I am a semi-professional photographer working with Aperture using only RAW files.
    I need lots of storage space (4 bays for HDDs are nice to have), lots of Ram... etc..
    I also do some moderate video editing. The standard office work. And additionally 'some' (I guess it accumulates to about 30-50% of the time) gaming :D (I'm talking to you Steam :D).
    So much for my background...

I really appreciate your help...

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would definitely pay 340€ to get a fully working computer. When you get your Mac Pro, you can use the iMac as download slave or something like that as it keeps running when in Target Display Mode