iMac Late '09 adding internal 128g SSD to 2TB HDD, how to configure?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by MrTk, Dec 10, 2013.

1. MrTk macrumors newbie

I'd like some opinions on how to best configure the SSD for boot speed and use? I plan on installing Mavericks new to the SSD and moving all my apps from the HDD over to the SSD, via the migration assistant. I will then create all my existing HDD users (4)as new users on the SSD, so I don't carry over any older folders not in use. I'd then move all the users documents, etc. Finally, create a shared folder on the HDD where I put iTunes, Pictures (for iPhoto) and my movies for shared use. That is where 90% of my data is (iMovies and photos). So that will sit on the HDD in the shared folder.

Does anyone see a better configuration to take advantage of the SSD speed? I feel a new install on the SSD is better than using migration assistant. I will only use that to migrate apps from HDD to SDD.

Thoughts?

2. MrTk thread starter macrumors newbie

SSD hard drive arrives today. Anyone have an opinion on the matter before I go at it on my own?

3. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Sharing one iTunes library seems a bit dangerous but beyond that, seems like a good plan to me.

I have Sys/Apps/Users on my SSD
    I keep /iTunes/Media, large installers/programs, temp video conversion queues on my HDD

I don't have multiple users and if I did, I would have them keep separate iTunes libraries but that's just me.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you want to make a Fusion drive (after you backup your current system) follow the steps for 10.9 fusion DIY instructions in the thread post by Dark Dragoon Make a Fusion Drive for 10.9.

Plus to move iTunes to a different drive that your startup drive see the article How to move an iTunes library to an external drive.