iMac Late '09 adding internal 128g SSD to 2TB HDD, how to configure?

MrTk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I'd like some opinions on how to best configure the SSD for boot speed and use? I plan on installing Mavericks new to the SSD and moving all my apps from the HDD over to the SSD, via the migration assistant. I will then create all my existing HDD users (4)as new users on the SSD, so I don't carry over any older folders not in use. I'd then move all the users documents, etc. Finally, create a shared folder on the HDD where I put iTunes, Pictures (for iPhoto) and my movies for shared use. That is where 90% of my data is (iMovies and photos). So that will sit on the HDD in the shared folder.

Does anyone see a better configuration to take advantage of the SSD speed? I feel a new install on the SSD is better than using migration assistant. I will only use that to migrate apps from HDD to SDD.

Thoughts?

MrTk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
SSD hard drive arrives today. Anyone have an opinion on the matter before I go at it on my own?

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
Sharing one iTunes library seems a bit dangerous but beyond that, seems like a good plan to me.

I have Sys/Apps/Users on my SSD
I keep /iTunes/Media, large installers/programs, temp video conversion queues on my HDD

I don't have multiple users and if I did, I would have them keep separate iTunes libraries but that's just me.

satcomer

macrumors 604
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.