iMac Late '09

Discussion in 'iMac' started by johnchart, Aug 11, 2014.

1. johnchart macrumors member

My iMac slowing down. Getting old - got in fall 2009. Any hints on how to speed it up? Thanks for help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're having performance issues, this may help: Beyond those, adding RAM or a SSD can greatly improve performance in some cases. It depends on your typical workload and what configuration you have now.

3. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

You might start by booting to an OS X install disk and using Disk Utility (from the boot disk) to repair permissions.

You might also max out the RAM (from a reliable source).

Finally, re-installing OS X can help when nothing else seems to work. Just make sure your hard drive is not dying. You can run Apple Diagnostics by disconnecting all peripherals but the mouse and keyboard, then by restarting while holding down the "D" key. That should open up Apple Diagnostics. When it's done you should get a report of all systems, including your hard drive.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:
    If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

How much RAM do you have? How much empty disk space is left? What OS are you running?

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

An SSD is the single, best upgrade you can do. I'm going to assume you have at minimum 4GB RAM in that iMac. I'd add an SSD before adding any more memory.

i.e. 4GB + SSD is a better upgrade than 8GB + HDD.

Both is better, naturally, but start with an SSD and your eyes will pop right open.