iMac Late-2006 Screen Issue ("dust" in corners)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ShiryuX, Nov 16, 2012.

1. ShiryuX macrumors member

ShiryuX

Hi all

Recently having received an iMac 2006 (white one) from a colleague, I'm really enjoying it!
    But there is one small thing I would like to know if it's fixable or not as I can't seem to find much information about it when searching around (nor any fixes).

The issue is that there seems to be "dust" in the bottom left and top left corner (and to a lesser extent the top right corner). They appear in the form of a small circle on each of the corners. I asked around and some people told me it's just "dirty" inside and requires me to open up the iMac (which seems quite hard according to ifixit, anyone ever tried opening these up?)

I'll be able to post pictures if anyone needs more clarification on this issue, but does anyone know if this is a common problem and if it's doable to fix at home?

Thanks a lot!

- S

2. blanka macrumors 68000

It is a production flaw of the panel, and the dust is inside it. Removing the glass does not help. Should be bad enough to start a recall program, saw this very often, but nothing like that from apple yet. They recall hard-drives instead.... :confused:

3. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

A recall program on a 6+ year old Mac? Yeah good luck with that.
    And if I remember rightly, an 06 iMac doesn't even have any glass to remove.

4. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

It could be an issue with the LCD itself, taking apart the white imacs isnt that hard actually. it does take some patience.
    Dirt, dust or debris can fall between the lcd and backlight so that may be where its at,but its not somehting id recommend opening up the machine and tearing apart the display panel to do...

no production flaw, and late 2006 models do not have glass panels. this is a white imac.