iMac late 2006 White Screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DavGerm4, May 25, 2012.

1. DavGerm4 macrumors newbie

So, I've got a White iMac late 2006 model that's stuck at the white screen. I can still boot into safe mode, but other then that, I really don't know what to do. I can also boot into Verbose and Single User Mode, so is there something I can look for when in Verbose mode, so that I can figure out what the issue is?

The iMac has a 1TB HDD, 2GB RAM, and the latest OSX Lion installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The graphics card was recently upgraded; the previous user I guess decided to put the 7600GT instead of the stock 7300GT in it, and forgot to put thermal paste on it, but I fixed that. Just stuck on the White Screen.

I've tried Command+Option+P+R and Command+Option+P+L and still no luck.

Thanks!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Can you boot to the recovery partition by holding Command + R? Once you have access to the Mac OS X Utilities, run Disk Utility to check the directory structure and to determine if you may need to reinstall.

3. DavGerm4 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I hold down Command+R nothing goes up, but if I hold Option down for boot options it shows the Recovery HD, but it loads and goes to the white screen still. I tried going to the OS X Installer and still get the white screen.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

What version of the OS was the computer running before Lion? Do you have the install disc for 10.6 or 10.5? Can you try booting to the disc with the C key? From there try accessing Disk Utility again.

5. California macrumors 68040

California

Test the ram. BTW, you should be using a matched pair of ram sticks in that machine for best video as I recall

----------

Test the ram see my post above.

6. DavGerm4 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's only got 1 2GB RAM Stick installed at the moment.

I tried booting into 10.5 and 10.6 and still the white screen.

What surprises me is that I can boot into safe mode just fine, but everything else is just a bust.

Is there anything I can look for while booting in Verbose mode? Like does it show supposedly what error I could be getting in there?

Thanks again for all the help!

7. iMacC2D, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  8. DavGerm4 thread starter macrumors newbie

So are you saying that it may not be the video card that is faulting?

9. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

It probably is, white screen usually means bad card or bad driver, and since you've mentioned that it happens on multiple systems, it sounds like the card to me.

10. DavGerm4 thread starter macrumors newbie

So just tried booting into Safe Mode, and it's also got the white screen. I'm thinking it's the GPU. I'll just order a new one, even though they aren't way cheap, but my Father wants the iMac as his own, and is willing to buy the card, just not simply upgrade to a new iMac.

Thanks for all the help fellas! Really appreciate it!