iMac late 2006 White Screen

DavGerm4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
So, I've got a White iMac late 2006 model that's stuck at the white screen. I can still boot into safe mode, but other then that, I really don't know what to do. I can also boot into Verbose and Single User Mode, so is there something I can look for when in Verbose mode, so that I can figure out what the issue is?

The iMac has a 1TB HDD, 2GB RAM, and the latest OSX Lion installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The graphics card was recently upgraded; the previous user I guess decided to put the 7600GT instead of the stock 7300GT in it, and forgot to put thermal paste on it, but I fixed that. Just stuck on the White Screen.

I've tried Command+Option+P+R and Command+Option+P+L and still no luck.

Thanks!

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Can you boot to the recovery partition by holding Command + R? Once you have access to the Mac OS X Utilities, run Disk Utility to check the directory structure and to determine if you may need to reinstall.

DavGerm4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
If I hold down Command+R nothing goes up, but if I hold Option down for boot options it shows the Recovery HD, but it loads and goes to the white screen still. I tried going to the OS X Installer and still get the white screen.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
What version of the OS was the computer running before Lion? Do you have the install disc for 10.6 or 10.5? Can you try booting to the disc with the C key? From there try accessing Disk Utility again.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Test the ram. BTW, you should be using a matched pair of ram sticks in that machine for best video as I recall

----------

If I hold down Command+R nothing goes up, but if I hold Option down for boot options it shows the Recovery HD, but it loads and goes to the white screen still. I tried going to the OS X Installer and still get the white screen.
Test the ram see my post above.

DavGerm4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
It's only got 1 2GB RAM Stick installed at the moment.

I tried booting into 10.5 and 10.6 and still the white screen.

What surprises me is that I can boot into safe mode just fine, but everything else is just a bust.

Is there anything I can look for while booting in Verbose mode? Like does it show supposedly what error I could be getting in there?

Thanks again for all the help!

DavGerm4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
From experience, these models of iMac (24-inch) have problems with their 7300GT and 7600GT graphics cards. I've had to replace the 7300GT in two 24-inch white iMacs for a "White Screen" issue roughly around the time the desktop or login window is due to load. Safe Boot can sometimes overcome the issue temporarily as it loads the system in a reduced state.

Based on the fact you've attempted a boot from several systems and are getting the same result, I wouldn't rule out the graphics card as being at fault, especially as the 7600GT was run without thermal paste by the previous owner which could have quite easily damaged the GPU core.

Finally, I don't believe matched memory makes any difference to the graphics performance of this machine as it uses its own dedicated 128MB or 256MB of video memory on the graphics card itself.
So are you saying that it may not be the video card that is faulting?

DavGerm4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
So just tried booting into Safe Mode, and it's also got the white screen. I'm thinking it's the GPU. I'll just order a new one, even though they aren't way cheap, but my Father wants the iMac as his own, and is willing to buy the card, just not simply upgrade to a new iMac.

Thanks for all the help fellas! Really appreciate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.