Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
I was able to get it to work.. Took the adapter board out again, reattached the 3.3v line and made sure it went to pin 18 and put it back the same way again and now it's working. About 50 reboots later.. I think the system freaked out because the old hardware was gone and something new was there. I'm using a BCM943602CDP. This is what it was detected as:

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 10.46.54 PM.png

Question for everyone.. When I run Bluetooth Explorer, I do not see this adapter listed anywhere. It acts as if there is no BT in the system. I even did a fresh install of Mojave thinking that would fix it and it did not. Still nothing shows up in Bluetooth Explorer for the new BT/WiFi card.

Should it show up there?

Another thing I just noticed is that my other MBPs which work fine with Apple Watch say Connectable: Yes. This one with the new BT/WiFi module says Connectable: No. Any idea how I can fix that?

Last edited:

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
I'm noticing that while BT works with mice and keyboard, I can't get any handoff or anything to work. I have a 2016 MBP that has the same Broadcom BT chipset (20703A2) and the firmware on it is v92 c4302. Apple Watch and handoff are both working properly on this laptop.

This BT module that I just installed in this 2011 iMac last night has the same chipset but it's firmware version is v76 c4290. I'm going to install Catalina in the hopes that it updates the firmware on the BT module. Will report back when I get those results.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Ok, so this is weird...

This new BT module BCM943602CDP.. In Mojave, it shows this info:

Chipset 20703A2
Firmware version v76 c4290

When I installed Catalina, the firmware updated to v92 c4303.

Then I booted back into Mojave and it went back to v76 c4290.

Did it flash this module twice?! Once in Catalina and then again when I went back to Mojave or are the firmware versions not permanent? I was thinking that once the firmware updated in Catalina that it would stay that version even if I went back to Mojave.

Maybe there is something I need to install on Mojave to update this firmware to make it stick.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
So I got the adapter for the BCM943602CDP module ready to go. I ordered an extra BT power cable (593-1035 B), hacked off the end below, and soldered to the adapter.

Reactions: Allistah

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Ok, I figured out the part that I was missing that wasn't allowing handoff and Apple Watch unlock to work. This was the missing part for me. I am on a mid-2011 27" iMac. I installed a BCM943602CDP in it.

Once I did a fresh install of Mojave, the system acted like everything was enabled but all handoff features and Apple Watch unlocking would never work. Tried all sorts of things like logging out of iCloud, etc, etc.. deleting keys on the keychain, etc.. Nothing worked. This was the missing piece for me:

1) Restart iMac
2) Hold down Command-R to reboot into Recovery Mode.
3) Click Utilities.
4) Select Terminal
5) Type: csrutil disable
6) Restart iMac
7) Open Terminal

For Catalina Only:
8) Paste this command into the terminal: sudo mount -uw /

9) Paste this command into the terminal: sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set:Mac-942B59F58194171B:ContinuitySupport true" "/System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist"

10) Restart iMac
11) Hold down Command-R to reboot into Recovery Mode.
12) Click Utilities.
13) Select Terminal
14) Type: csrutil enable
15) Restart iMac

The key there is "Mac-942B59F58194171B" in step 9 above. That translates to a mid-2011 27" iMac12,2. If you don't look up the value for the computer you're using then step 9 above won't do anything for you as it will be changing the data for some other computer type. By default some other computer was in there so it didn't do anything for me at first. Once I looked up the value for my system and put that in there, then it worked.

To find the code for your specific machine, run this command in the terminal:

ioreg -l | grep "board-id" | awk -F\" '{print $4}'

There was the data I needed for my machine. I copied out the Mac-942B59F58194171B and pasted it into the command on line 8 above. That is what made the change to my computer in that plist. If anyone needs some assistance with finding this info for your system, let me know. Once I did that and the rest of the steps, things started to happen - all the handoff things and Apple Watch Unlock! It all works now!!

System Information:
  • Mid-2011 27" iMac (iMac12,2), Model A1312, EMC 2429
  • WiFi/Blutooth Board Installed: BCM943602CDP
  • Requires separate 3.3v power from original BT module to allow independent on/off control between WiFi/BT.

Mojave 10.14.6:
  • What works: AWatch System Unlock, Handoff, Instant Hotspot
  • What doesn't: Nothing - it all works!

OS Version: Catalina 10.15.6
  • What works: AWatch Admin Prompt Unlock, Handoff, Instant Hotspot
  • What doesn't: AWatch System Unlock

I have not checked to see if this works on Catalina yet, but I suspect it will. We should start to revise the first post with a list of systems, the OSs they're on, what boards work, and what is confirmed to work so people will know.

Last edited:

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
I have a couple other adapters coming and a BCM94360CD. I want to see if this one works better for securing in this machine. Once I see if it works well in this machine, I'll update the first post as well. The one thing I did not see from others is if Apple Watch Unlock works or not. I'm going to find out and report back.

dac610

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2020
Apple Watch Unlock works with BCM94360CD in High Sierra; not sure about Mojave and up.

BadBiscuit

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2020
Washington, USA
I have not checked to see if this works on Catalina yet, but I suspect it will.
Please do. I have followed your progress with interest. Sounds like we have identical equipment and goals. The first BCM943602CDP card I bought only reported v4.1 BT along with other issues, so returned it for another which reports v4.2 and works 100% under Mojave (just like yours), including Apple Watch Unlock. Only difference is I didn't bother connecting a separate power line for BT; leaving both WiFi and BT active seems like a small compromise.

I found that under Catalina all but Apple Watch Unlock works for me. I get the same result reported by @George Colgrove in post #435 with, "the message shows up and disappears at login". I'd like that to work, but only need Mojave to work for my purposes. May try again once a final Big Sur arrives, and weigh out if that upgrade has value. Others have reported it works for them, so would be interested if there is a step I'm missing.

BTW: My system with BCM943602CDP is "SCOOBY"; all others have BCM94360CD cards.

Last edited:

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
I’m installing Catalina now. Still have the BCM943602CDP in it. Once I get it done I’ll report back.

UPDATE: I figured out how to get into Recovery Mode. Got Catalina installed and Apple Watch unlock is partially working. It works when I unlock things in the system settings and I have to double click the side button on the watch. Not working yet it is on the lock screen.

Just read in another thread that any patched Catalina install, the AWatch System Unlock never works, even with the right compatible hardware. :-(

Last edited:

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Hey, on Mojave, does the Apple Watch unlock Administrator Password prompts? I'm always having to type my password. Apple Watch System Unlock works for me without any trouble, but not the Admin Password prompts - which funny enough works in Catalina. Is that something new in Catalina?

BadBiscuit

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2020
Washington, USA
I’m installing Catalina now. Still have the BCM943602CDP in it. Once I get it done I’ll report back.

UPDATE: I figured out how to get into Recovery Mode. Got Catalina installed and Apple Watch unlock is partially working. It works when I unlock things in the system settings and I have to double click the side button on the watch. Not working yet it is on the lock screen.

Just read in another thread that any patched Catalina install, the AWatch System Unlock never works, even with the right compatible hardware. :-(
Thanks for verifying your setup on Catalina. Not certain what you mean by "patched Catalina install"; do you mean kext changes, or latest Apple updates. Regardless your results match mine.

Hey, on Mojave, does the Apple Watch unlock Administrator Password prompts? I'm always having to type my password. Apple Watch System Unlock works for me without any trouble, but not the Admin Password prompts - which funny enough works in Catalina. Is that something new in Catalina?

I believe the system unlock feature is only available within Catalina, and yes that works for me. A useful feature, though unlock from the login screen would be even more useful, and that is what works from Mojave and eludes me in Catalina.

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
I have a mid-2011 iMac with a K4100M video card and a BCM943602CDP BT/WiFi card. I wonder why I can't get AWatch System unlock to work in Catalina.

Can you give me some info on your system and what kexts you have installed for your Catalina system? Have you done anything special to get AWatch System Unlock to work in Catalina or you never had any trouble getting it to work?

b4db0y

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
Hi all guys, I have an imac 21.5 from mid 2011 I read the whole forum, but I didn't understand which card and adapter plug & play without cutting anything, since you all talk about 27. I would like to make this change but on a low budget. .. I will surely have missed a few steps, sorry.

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Hi all guys, I have an imac 21.5 from mid 2011 I read the whole forum, but I didn't understand which card and adapter plug & play without cutting anything, since you all talk about 27. I would like to make this change but on a low budget. .. I will surely have missed a few steps, sorry.
Start reading at the first page! There is even a short guide linked.

Forget the last 4 or 5 pages. There is nearly no valuable content, only Facebook alike chatting. Everything has been said before.

There is no cheap plug and play adapter. There is only a cheap version to solder yourself to two or three internal cables. The plug and play is around 100 USD or more. All solutions work in both the 27 and 21.5. I assume even in some older models.

Reactions: b4db0y

b4db0y

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
yes I have read everything, but I did not understand if with the V.3 adapter with the small connector on the side, you still have to do some soldering or just use the old cable of the old bluetooth card.

b4db0y

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
Ok this is my list, it's all ok for mod plug & play for my iMac 21,5 mid 2011?
Antonio suggestion are welcome for me :)

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Ok this is my list, it's all ok for mod plug & play for my iMac 21,5 mid 2011?
Antonio suggestion are welcome for me :)

The adapter with the connector on the side will hit the board when you install it. I ran into this problem and I had to. get a different board. Removing that connector isn't so easy with just a solder iron and the right tools. I recommend you get a board like this and solder the wires to the board. That way your BT/WiFi board can lay all the way down like it is supposed to. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SR1TSXE

IMG_1773.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 8.30.16 AM.png

Reactions: BeatCrazy

b4db0y

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
The adapter with the connector on the side will hit the board when you install it. I ran into this problem and I had to. get a different board. Removing that connector isn't so easy with just a solder iron and the right tools. I recommend you get a board like this and solder the wires to the board. That way your BT/WiFi board can lay all the way down like it is supposed to. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SR1TSXE

View attachment 1658195

View attachment 1658201
Ok and this?

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Ok and this?
Looks like it would work but that QC sticker is over the pads where you would have to solder that wire. to get the signal from the original BT.

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
For those that have done this mod, does the Instant Hotspot work for you? Can you connect to it? My phone shows up in the WiFi list under "Personal Hotspot" but it won't connect to it.

Could someone try that on Mojave and tell me if that works for you or not?

bcdc13

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
Success Story: I put the new antenna in the upper right corner of the machine, right and over the GPU heat exchanger.

If another one is planning to do the complete upgrade (GPU, CPU, BT) it might be a good idea to reroute both cables from the old BT board to the center near the WIFI module while the system board is out. Then there is no need for an extension.

I added a K2100M card, a new SSD, installed (dosdude's) Catalina and all the (highvoltage12v) patches to make sleeping possible, again.

Hope I did not forget anything. Source of the BCM94360CD and the adapter was aliexpress. I only had to connect D+/D+ from the BT cable.
Thanks to all!

BTW:
When I used the dosdude patcher on this iMac 12,2 it came up with the "legacy wifi patch". Do I really need it after upgrading to this card? Currently it is running well....
Did you ever get an answer to your question about the legacy wifi patch? I'll be upgrading my mid 2010 iMac 11,3 so I'm familiar with having to modify dosdude's patcher - needed to disable the legacy gpu patch after my upgrade. I read through this thread and didn't see anyone else mention it at all. I'm happy to give it a try and report back if no one has attempted it yet, but if it's a known dead end then I won't waste my time trying. Thanks.

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Has anyone been able to get the Instant Hotspot to work? I can see my phone show up but I can't ever connect to it. Other machines can though..

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Has anyone been able to get the Instant Hotspot to work? I can see my phone show up but I can't ever connect to it. Other machines can though..

Just confirmed working on my iMac 11,1 via my iPhone 11 Pro. Speedtest results were not too bad. About 56Mbps/11Mbps and 24ms latency via AT&T LTE.

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Just confirmed working on my iMac 11,1 via my iPhone 11 Pro. Speedtest results were not too bad. About 56Mbps/11Mbps and 24ms latency via AT&T LTE.
Huh, I wonder why I can't get it to work. I've done numerous formats and clean installs, everything else works.. No idea why that doesn't. This isn't a laptop so it's not a big deal. Just bugs me though.. I want to know why and figure it out. heh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.