iMac Late 2008 Hard Drive Replacement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by No0b3rT, Jun 21, 2011.

1. No0b3rT macrumors newbie

I did a bit of research regarding my iMac. I know how to open it, take out the screen etc... and get to the Hard Drive. I'm planning to get a 2TB Hard Drive since right now, mine is only 320GB and I have about 15GB free. So my question as of right now is:

What is a compatible/good brand of Hard Drives that is 2TB that can go into my iMac?

Thanks
    ~No0b3rT

2. MacHamster68, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i am a big fan of Western digital and would not let anything else near my Mac's
    so if i would want a 2 TB harddrive my choice would be very simple

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB

here a review

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/24310-western-digital-caviar-black-2tb-hard-drive-review.html
    (just ignore the prices as they got cheaper since 2009 )
    and before anyone else shouts at me about that it is better then a velociraptor i have to tell you that its the previous generation velociraptor they had in the test , the vr200m came in 2010 long after that test and beats the caviar black in every aspect but size (only a 600gb drive ), but the caviar black is still a awesome fast 2TB HDD , so the first option if you dont want to sacrifice speed over size

3. No0b3rT thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright Thank You very Much! :) I went to Best Buy's website and I looked up a Western Digital, but there are like different versions. The one you sent a link to was the "Black" Version. There's also "Green" and some others. Does it matter or no?

4. pawtracks macrumors regular

If I'm going to all the effort to open an iMac nothing is going in there but a WD caviar black (5 yr warranty)

And please don't shop at best buy, look ok, shop no...
    Newegg, amazon, etc....

5. likegadgets macrumors 6502

6. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the caviar green is a bit more eco friendly and more quiet but offers less performance , ideal as storage/backup drive where performance does not matter
    the caviar Black offers the maximum of performance in the caviar range , but is less quiet , but far from loud , it will certainly cost you 1 $ or even 1.50$ more on your energy bill per year

the caviar blue ones are rare finds now , they are placed direct in the middle of the range

so at anything at 1TB and above caviar black if you run OS and app's on the HDD

7. pawtracks macrumors regular

Why would you go through the effort to open an iMac and use such a puny drive?
    Number of platters??