iMac (Late 2009) 27" - 3 HDDs possible (2 SSDs and 1 HDD)?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RealEvil, Aug 29, 2011.

1. RealEvil macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have a late 2009 i7 27" model. I love it.

I installed a SSD in place of the DVD drive and replaced the stock 1TB drive with a 2TB model (I use HDD Fan Control to control the 2TB drive).

Is it possible to fit another SSD in there? I do a lot of Windows development and have to frequently run 4VMs. I would love an additional 256GB SSD to host some of the VMs.

Any advice?

2. Kristijan macrumors member

Hi RealEvil,

I don't want to derail your topic, but I just started receiving SMART errors on my Late 2009 i7 27" iMac and was looking to swap it out with an SSD.

Did you do it yourself, and does it require any additional hardware (i.e. drive caddy)? Also, are there any limits in which SSD that can be put in (i.e. Speed, Size)?

I'd love to replace this HDD for a SSD, but just don't know what my options are.

Thanks,
    -Kristijan

3. RealEvil thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

It was about year ago but I followed a tutorial from this forum.

It was not easy and is not for the feint-hearted. I had most of the tools but did have to buy the suction cups. Seriously - find a tutorial and study it. See if you are happy to do it - its fiddly work.

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I do not believe there is room for a third drive in the 2009 models. The 2010 models had two HDD bays (though the mounting bracket only shipped with models that had two HDDs) and the OD bay could be used to add a third.

As for replacing the drives, it doesn't look too difficult as once you remove the glass and LCD panel, the HDD bay and OD bay look to be in plain view. I'm pleased with the general performance of my 2009 i7 outside of the HDD and my friend is an Apple authorized service guy so he can do the work.