iMac late 2009 HDD swap

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AcidDemon, Mar 19, 2014.

1. AcidDemon, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014

AcidDemon macrumors newbie

AcidDemon

Hello,

my current HDD in my late 2009 iMac shows S.M.A.R.T. status: Failing. I want to replace the HDD asap (backup of the data is up to date, so no worries regarding an imminent failure).
    But I don't know which drive I can use without running into the fan control problem. As far as I know, the iMac late 09 uses the HDD internal temp sensors paired with a special firmware in the drive to control the fans.

The current drive is a Seagate ST31000528AS (Firmware)Version AP2E
    Can I use any other ST31000528AS? I'm unable to find a list with firmware versions which will work with the 2009 model correctly.

I hope someone can help me out

// ifixit quote: "the replacement hard drive must be of the same brand as the original. The model number of the hard drive does not matter as long as the brand matches."

Can anyone confirm this?

2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

OWC had info on replacement drives. They sold 1 and 2 TB models that worked. Not sure they still have them. Might want to give them a shout.

3. photosmike, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

photosmike macrumors member

I replaced my hard drive in a late 2009 iMac (EMC 2308) using the iFixit instructions (same brand WD) and I have not had a problem with the fans. I bought the WD hard drive they listed in the repair guide.

http://tinyurl.com/npkmhnq

The Read/Write speed increase was amazing.

Mike

4. mossy macrumors regular

mossy

Apple has determined that certain Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

Did you avail of the replacement program already?

http://www.apple.com/ie/support/imac-harddrive/

5. erickj macrumors regular

My 2009 21.5 iMac was a part of this recall. I took it to the Apple Store and they replaced the drive in less than 2 hours. You might want to check, as above poster suggested, and see if your iMac drive was part of the recall.