iMac Late 2009 RAM Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DoFoT9, Oct 26, 2009.

1. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Hey everybody, hope your day is going well.

I am considering buying the new quad core iMacs (core i7) when they come out. I'm loving the fact that they now have 4 DIMMs, and I will choose the stock 2x2GB, but would like to upgrade to 8GB in the near future.

My local computer shop only has DDR3 1333MHz 200-pin SO-DIMM RAM (OCZ, or G.Skill), $Aus50 per 2GB. Will this RAM work hand in hand with the other RAM, slowing down to the 1066MHz?

Linky to RAM

Thanks in advance to any contributions.

DoFoT9

2. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

After a little research, I have found that it is possible to "mix'n'match" RAM like this, but the system will run the faster RAM at the speed of the slowest RAM. This I already knew the answer to somewhat, but I would like confirmation.

Maybe it might be more beneficial to purchase 4x2GB 1333MHz sticks for $200Aus, then sell the "legit" Apple RAM on ebay?

3. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

I'm by no means an expert but I have read a bit on this.
    The advice I heard was that technically yes you can put faster RAM modules and they will just run slower HOWEVER there is a risk that the system just simply will not recognise the modules or their full capacity or it will run really slow.
    Also 4x8GB sticks? Is that a mistake? The maximum the new iMacs will support is 4x4= 16GB and for that privelige you are paying $600+ even from 3rd party suppliers!
    When I get my RAM it'll be from http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=F27B1357A5CA7304
    $93US. for 2x2GB giving a total of 4x2GB= 8GB
    BTW They will post to Oz for $25US and with the dollar at 93c thats not such a bad deal!

4. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmmm good point. i guess the only way to find out is to get advice from somebody that knows it!

HAHA sorry! i meant 4x2GB sticks!

mybad lol

ok thats a pretty darn good deal. esp with the Aus dollar nearly being as high as the US dollar. you might have saved me!

thank you!

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That won't work. It's 200-pin RAM while iMac uses 204-pin RAM. As fruitpunch.ben said, buy from Crucial :cool:

6. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i guess that i will end up doing that. they are expecting the Aus v US dollar to go to $1.20 !!!! :eek::eek: then it will be worth it :)

i wont purchase it straight away though.

thanks very much for the help

7. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

And thank you for helping to boost U.S. exports!

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

The iMac only supports 1066Mhz DDR3 anyway, I don't know where you got 1333Mhz info from?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Because Core i7 supports 1333MHz DDR3 RAM.

By the way, Lynnfield only supports 2 x DDR3 so does the iMac have external memory controller rather than Lynnfield's built-in so it can utilize all 4 slots?

10. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hahahah! :D anytime! im normally not keen to purchase outside of australia, but for $25 P&A how could i say no!?

well i presumed that the amount of pins were the same, and since RAM can "slow down" to the slowest speed of the RAM in the computer that it would work. obviously not because they use different pins.

core i7 supports all the way up to 2000MHz+ RAM i thought!? :confused:

i had a look on the ifixit dissasembly guide of the new iMacs, but couldnt get close enough to see the RAM slots and whatnot for anything to inform us of an external memory controller :( (not that i know what i am looking for ;))

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think +1333MHz DDR3 is overclocked so yes it does support it, depending on your logic board of course

RAM slots are located at the bottom of the iMac, near the  logo. I'm not an expert when it comes to RAM controllers and their compatibility, so hard to say :(

12. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup, guess we wont know until somebody tries it!

i presumed the RAM controller would have been on the logic board somewhere. still cant see it but.

bedtime for me night/day :D

13. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

There isn't much point in overclocking memory. You are speeding up the 2nd fastest component in the machine (processor being the fastest) so the gains would be negligible. The HD is the item to try to make faster...

Its kinda like saving money. Do you cut your Netflix bill down from $17 to $9 or do you trade in your car so you can go from $400 to $200 monthly payment. Its all about bang for your buck.