iMac late 2009,very slow with Lion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by decb, Aug 23, 2011.

1. decb macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, anyone else having problem since installing Lion, my iMac 3.06 intel core 2 duo have slowed to almost a stop when it comes to browsing the web and I also find opening apps slow as well,I've just installed another 4Gb of Ram but its made no difference. Any ideas????????

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Did you do a clean install? (as opposed to an update from SL)

3. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Same setup, no problems

I have the same setup (late 2009 iMac, Lion) and have had no problems. So you should be able to resolve the problem.

Good luck! Is the issue only on certain web sites? Are only certain programs opening slowly? Was this a problem before Lion? What else did you change at the time you installed Lion?

You may want to just reinstall.

4. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

How long has it been since you installed Lion? One of the first things Lion does is rebuild the Spotlight database. This makes the computer seem sluggish for several hours after upgrading.

If it has been quite some time (and the little magnifying glass icon doesn't have a blinking dot in it), check your CPU utilization in Activity Monitor (Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor). See if there is an application (or several applications) that are using a disproportionate amount of CPU time.

If all those things are seemingly okay, check to make sure your hard drive is not dying. I recommend using Onyx to check the SMART status of your hard drive. It can also be used to clean your caches and fix your permissions.

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/joel.barriere/dl/107/OnyX.dmg

(Disclaimer: Please use Onyx responsibly. Make sure you have a backup of your data before using it.)

-Aaron-