iMac late 2011- Monitor Performance (Gaming)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sstevens, Jul 23, 2015.

1. sstevens macrumors member

I own a top end Oct. 2011 27" iMac:
    3.4GHz i7
    8GB (soon to be 32GB)
    2GB Radeon 6970M
    256SSD + 1TB HDD

I have been on my Bootcamp Windows 7 side for roughly everyday since mid April - strictly playing games off Steam. Now, I may be able to play these specific games on OSX but the functionality of my keyboard and mouse drivers I dont think have an OSX compatible download...anyway, I know the native refresh rate for the iMac is 60Hz, right? Is there anyway to somehow bypass via an app or terminal commands to push this thing to anything over 100HZ or above 60Hz?

I'm highly debating just building a new somewhat future proof PC (under $1100 budget) and getting a 144Hz monitor that everyone is using nowadays which puts you at a noticeable advantage to the decent gamer. Unless, of course, I can hook up another monitor and basically have my iMac + external monitor (external monitor being my main screen) ?? <-- is that also possible?

Thanks

2. sstevens thread starter macrumors member

Can someone confirm or tell me if I can hook up an external monitor to my iMac to simply use it as my main monitor when it comes to games? The refresh rate is crucial for FPS games. Thanks