iMac late 2012 - Blade SSD wear and tear and speed difference

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Fietsbel, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Fietsbel macrumors member

in my search for a original Apple blade SSD (a1398) i found a couple on ebay etc.
    All are in used condition, but will this have any effect on the performance of the SSD? or should i buy a brand new one?

2. Truthfulie macrumors regular

Used SSDs will loose its performance, though not much, even with TRIM enabled. But that's usually after a ton of intense usage. It's really hard to know since we don't know how long and how intense it's been used in past two years. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it though. SSDs are very durable nowadays. Under the normal circumstances, no SSDs should really fail due to over-usage until you need an entirely new machine.

3. Fietsbel thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your clear answer.
    What about the speed of the SSD? Will it be faster than a SATA SSD? or is it the same?

4. ignatiushk macrumors member

ignatiushk

Did you buy this Mac with a HDD instead of a SSD? I don't think those have the connector itself for blades. Otherwise ignore this.

5. Fietsbel thread starter macrumors member

I bought the mac with a normal HDD. It's the 27" imac, so the SSD blade slot is available on the motherboard. :)

6. ignatiushk macrumors member

ignatiushk

Only known with the 21.5, from the limited googling i did. xD

7. Truthfulie macrumors regular

If I remember correctly, 2013 iMacs are the first ones that implemented PCI-E connection for SSDs which does make SSDs significantly faster than SATA counterpart. So if that is correct blade or not, you should be getting 6gbps therefore making either option abut the same speed in therms of maximum bandwidth.

8. Fietsbel thread starter macrumors member

True! good thinking :) thanks everyone, it made my choice a lot easier. I will go for a regular big SSD instead of the expensive blade SSD