Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ocsupersonic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
England
My HHD on my 2012 iMac (with fusion drive) gave up after 4 1/2 years so took in into local repair man who replaced it (after a lot of palaver which I won't go into) I finally got it returned seemed a bit slower but to be honest I was just happy to get it back (the repair shop has since gone).
I have just looked at my storage on my "about this mac" and it now just shows my HHD and not the SSD part but if I look at disk utility it shows the 1TB HHD and a 128 SSD (screen shots below hopefully) but it looks like the repairman hasn't coupled (if that's the right word) the two drives and it looks like the SSD is doing nothing ("mount point Not Mounted" and "Owners Disabled" so I'm guessing the fusion drive no longer works so I wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction if possible to re couple the two drives so the fusion drive works again.
Thanks in advance.
Paul
Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 18.52.53.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 18.51.33.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The fusion drive can be "re-created" using terminal commands.

BUT -- if you attempt this you must first BACK UP THE DATA ON THE INTERNAL HDD, because that data will disappear when the internal SSD and HHD are "re-fused" into one logical drive.

There's an alternate approach.
That is, "leave the SSD as a standalone SSD".
Then, put a fresh copy of the OS onto it.
Then, migrate your apps and "barebones" account(s) onto it.

By "barebones", I mean -- leave the "large libraries" of music, movies and pictures on the internal HDD. They don't "require speed" to access. But they can still be easily accessed when you need them.

WHY do this?
If you keep the SSD "lean and clean", with just the basic OS, apps, and account, it will always run at the full speed of which it's capable.
Very snappy Mac you'll then have!

ocsupersonic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
England
Thanks for that don't suppose you can point me in the direction to get instructions to re-created using terminal commands ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.