iMac late 2012 - It doesn't start when I turn it on

Discussion in 'iMac' started by adrianovski, Mar 24, 2013.

1. adrianovski macrumors newbie

Mar 8, 2013
    Today, for the second time, when I turned on my iMac late 2012, the screen went white but the password and user picture didn't come up, and stayed like that.
    I had to hold the power button to restart it, and then it worked.
    Anyone know what's going on, and whether I should be concerned?
  2. Kelsmom18 macrumors newbie

Dec 26, 2012
    North Carolina
    That happened to my iMac late 2012 when I plugged in a new 3.0 USB hub. It wouldn't boot up - hung at the white screen. I shut down by hitting the start button, unplugged the USB 3.0 hub and restarted. Started up with no problem. Have you added a new peripheral or hub to your machine? :eek:
  3. bembol macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2006
    I had this problem with certain USB accessories when I had on my old 24" iMac. HUB was one of them.

When it was booting up and stayed on grey screen when I unplugged the HUB and Stick it started up.

I no longer use any of it, even the USB Stick on my new iMac. I even when out and bought a My Passport Studio for Mac to replace it.
  4. justperry macrumors G3

Aug 10, 2007
    In the core of a black hole.
    If this happens again, open up console and look for the last entry before your last boot, it will tell you where it hanged, and I am pretty sure it hanged on the USB device, if you let it sit for longer it would most probably skip it but it can take a while.
  5. Serban Suspended

Jan 8, 2013
    So we can't use any flash drive in 2012 imac? I have a 16 GB usb flash drive...
  6. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2008
    Mill Creek, WA
    No, you can use external flash drives. But you should "eject" them when you are through instead of leaving them plugged in.
  7. dandrewk macrumors 6502

Apr 20, 2010
    San Rafael, California
    That happened with my mid-2010. I bought a new USB 3.0 3tb drive, and suddenly I couldn't reboot without getting the white screen of LONGGGGG boot. I just turned off the mac, unhooked the drive, turned Mac back on, and when it was done starting up I plugged the USB drive back in. Fortunately, as is the case with Macs, I didn't have to reboot often.

It hasn't happened at all with my new 2012 (knock on wood).
  8. adrianovski thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks guys,
    It seems to be a pretty common problem.
    I do have a Kanex 4-port 3.0 usb hub (apparently the most recommended for Macs) and I recently got a Behringer U-Phono UFO202 audio card, which is another usb, but not 3.0
    I believe it's got something to do with the audio card, but don't know whether there's anything I could do to stop it happening other than unplugging it, since I can't eject it.