iMac Late 2012 power cord length

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nigel123, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Nigel123 macrumors newbie

Heya.

So I've had my iMac for a while now and was wondering if there were any places to get a longer cord.

Now before you jump at me with, "it's called an extension cord," I only need and extra 20cm minimum.

I read around and a lot of people say you can use any C14 cord, but I wanted (for aesthetics and closure) that actual plastic part that goes into the iMac itself.

At current times, the cord reaches but the stress on the cord is my main concern.

2. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I'd just cut the mains plug off and extend the cable with some white mains cable. Surely it won't be visible if it's done at the mains plug end? That's what I would do anyway.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Hop on ebay there are plenty on there for $10

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I did that with my last iMac...Works fine, a couple of block connectors and some insulation tape is all you need...If you really don't want to cut the cord..maybe use an extension cable?

5. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I'd prefer just to do it with one of these:

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/1923/pvc-flex-connector-3-terminal/dp/PLFLEX4

[​IMG]

Maybe 1m of white 3 core cable and a new white mains plug on the end.

Total cost maybe £5 and 10 minutes work and it will look reasonably neat too.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

7. Nigel123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can find leads, but not ones longer than the original length. Do you have links?

----------

Yeah I was trying to just have a single lead. Not that I don't trust it or anything, but aesthetically.

----------

If it comes to it, I'll use one of these but heres to hoping! Thanks though.