iMac Late 2012 - Screen Reduction of Reflections?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMacMad, Oct 24, 2012.

1. iMacMad, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

iMacMad macrumors member

Many Mac Users have been requesting the reintroduction of the Matte Screens and at long last Apple seem to have responded to a point that they consider not too detrimental to the high quality images produced by the Glossy Screens.
    Seemingly most users were happy with the perhaps ‘soon to be redundant’ iMac Glossy Screen, ‘soon to be redundant’ only applying if the new screen subsequently finds it’s way onto all Apple Devices that use Screens? Perhaps someone has information regarding alternative upcoming iMac Screens?

Only a few of the Reports stemming from the recent Apple Event focused attention on this aspect, I found the following the most helpful:

Mashable.com 2012/10/23 New iMac Video

Part of this video tries to convey the effect of the Reflection Reduction achieved, however the venue lighting may be a contributing factor?

Personally I will eagerly await the appearance of the New iMacs at the Apple Store, there is no substitute for being able view the screen first hand.
    If the screen is OK for me then my upgrade path is clearer, the iMac SSD version would be purchased and used in conjunction with my existing early 2008 Mac Pro.
    The latter, having 1 SSD plus 3 HDDs, should be great for Data Storage, Clone OS and Time Machine.
    It is probably too much to hope that Apple will ever release a truly ‘new’ Mac Pro, they seem keen to limit User manipulation of Hardware to the absolute minimum and if possible keep everyone in the ‘pen’ that they call iTunes and the App Store?

Any other ideas on the upgrade or use of existing kit will be much appreciated.

2. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

I guess they use the same tech that they used on the rMBP line. Seeing a regular glossy MBP and a rMBP in an apple store should give you a first hand account of the glare reduction.

3. iMacMad thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input eagandale4114

The rMBP only received a cursory glance from me when it was first introduced and because it was of almost zero interest I failed to notice that it offered 75% Glare Reduction. Thanks for pointing this out.

My experience with smaller screens has shown that the Users body blocks out a good proportion of the light and reflections that would otherwise affect the screen. I know from using my Son’s Glossy Screen iMac that for it to by usable long term, by me, a significant reduction in reflections and glare will be essential.
    As there are nil Apple Stores locally I will wait until the New iMacs hit the shelves. Then I will be able to get an idea how the larger screens handle this problem.

4. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I'm surprised Apple didn't also release an updated stand alone LCD to match the iMac.

5. jonnyback macrumors member

I am in the same position, I will buy a new iMac for photo editing, and have a MacPro Early 08.

I was going to sell the MacPro though as I can't think of a use for it after I have transferred all the programs and files... So will its main use for you be for data storage? Why is this better than external hard drives?

Thanks, J

6. Payton macrumors regular

Payton

They will. Seems as if the general consensus is that supply is getting in the way of the 27'' iMac's production… so, the same would apply to the new Thunderbolt display.

7. iMacMad thread starter macrumors member

Hi jonnyback

Referrence:
    These are my reasons for retaining the Mac Pro:

1. Almost from the off [Windoze] my MO has been NEVER to store Data [read Data-Music-Images] on the same Drive as the OS and Applications.
    By opting for the SSD Version of the iMac either a Small Partition or simply a Folder [dependent on the best practice for using SSDs] will be created for Data being worked upon but this will be frequently Saved elsewhere and when finalised removed completely. This will require access to other Drives for Data Storage plus Drives for Clone OS and Time Machine.

2. To provide a second usable means of accessing the Internet, the iPhone being discounted because IMHO it too much hassle for more than emergency use.

3. Possible financial loss? Selling the Mac Pro may only realise enough funds to buy a good Multiple Drive Housing although it could be populated by existing Drives.

4. I like my Mac Pro and not sure that it would be sold even if there was a proper updated version available to buy new.

5. With the passage of time the Mac Pro may even appreciate in value, if it is doing a good job and does not gain value that is not a problem.

So retaining the Mac Pro seems to be the way to go for me?

I have a selection of External Drives but wish to reduce clutter on my Office Desk, the profile of the later iMacs has always been an object of desire for me and would certainly not 'bury' it. Enough External Drives will be retained to enable Off Site Storage of Data, the surplus Enclosures would be dumped but it is always good to have Spare HDDs on hand.

You may realise from the above that I am a BackUp Fanatic, this is due to a few experiences of Data loss suffered by immediate family members.
    My MO has always managed to keep my Data safe, even through a PC meltdown scenario, I admit to being 'just lucky' during the first year of my computing experience.
    It seems prudent to plan for the following 'If something can happen it probably will'?

8. jonnyback macrumors member

Thanks iMacMad

Seems sensible for you to keep the Mac Pro. We have a laptop in the house anyway, and have a soon to arrive hefty new duo of external hard drives so my only temptation for keeping the MacPro would be to use it for editors who are remotely accessing files, i.e. set it up as a server (for which I have no experience in) but I think a NAS drive would be fine for this.

I know that the MacPro is a beast but for my needs it is just now more of a classic car, beautiful but impractical!

I also bought a 2008 MacPro thinking I could update it every few years, sadly I think the best route for someone like me who is not an IT expert is to buy the top of the range consumer Mac and sell it every 3 years... So here I am about to buy the iMac!

9. mcpix macrumors regular

The main thing I was looking for in the new iMac was an improved screen with less glare, and it looks like Apple has delivered. Unfortunately, the specs on the new 21.5" are less than I imagined, and I've found a glare solution that works for me, so I'm going the 2011 refurb. route.