iMac Late 2012 Speaker Advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jameshrcairns, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Jameshrcairns, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

Jameshrcairns macrumors member

So... my new 27 inch iMac is on the way, and have just been looking online for speakers as i have read that the speakers on the iMac arent too great.. and I'm constantly listening to music so it seems like a must.
    I've got a budget of up to around £150

Can anyone suggest speakers? I've looked at the Edifier Prisma BT speakers and Swan M10's but i want speakers that look modern and a bit funky aswell..
    however i dont really like the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks..

All suggestions are appreciated

Edit:
    just found these edifier m3200's they look real pretty but was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?
    http://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...UOyzAYi20QX1q4DYDA&ved=0CC8Q8wIwAA#ps-sellers

2. RodPinto macrumors regular

I got the b&w mm-1... Loving them'

3. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I love anything from Audioengine. You could shop around and probably find them in your range.

4. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I picked up the Klipsch THX Pro Media 2.1 set from BestBuy when they were on sale and have been happy with them, they probably aren't THE best but they definitely are much better than any of the built in speakers.

I listen to a bit of music when at my desk so I wanted good sound but I don't listen enough to need anything amazing, I like the B&W MM-1'S and the AudioEngine A2's but I wanted a decent set quickly, I picked the Klipsch up and haven't felt the need to upgrade any further.

5. Jameshrcairns thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I had a look at them.. Couldn't find anywhere to get them in the uk though..

Reckon these will be a good alternative?

http://www.edifier-international.com/products/edifier-multimedia/m3200

6. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

damn they look impressive. Just a question... Do they work just as well with movies as they do for music? I only ask because of my ignorance. Just want to make sure there is no audio sync problems.

thanks.

7. OlMighty macrumors member

I'm in the same boat - I've got the imac coming but would be interested in some good speakers. Got about 3-4 weeks to decide which ones though.

The G4 ball speakers would have been ideal - I don't need a 2.1 system and don't really want to use external power, or even usb powered. Oh well.

8. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

Any speaker that works with music will work with movies. Movies, however, should be equalised differently as they have more spoken portions. As long as you can EQ them properly, they will be fine.

The B&W mm-1 have a DAC built-in, so you don't have to worry about the pretty shoddy DAC of your computer.