iMac late 2012

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Weemansb, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Weemansb macrumors newbie

Weemansb

Right where to start, I had a failing hard drive on my iMac so decided to fix it myself and I replaced the hard drive but when I went to turn it back on the screen was black and don't know why this is? I have tried putting the old hard drive back in but a still a black screen. I have tried the control-Option-p-r as I still get the start up noise so wondering what to do next

Many Thanks
    Matt

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Resetting NVRAM (which is Command-Option-P-R) was a good try. But after that, I wouldn't suspect the HD (old or new). To confirm that, try booting to Internet Recovery (Command-Option-R) - that bypasses the HD. If the display doesn't wake for that, it's not the HD.

My first suspect would not be the hard drive, but the display cables (power and data).

In a darkened room, is there any hint of display backlight?

3. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

I too would think screen cables not seated correctly.

See this with laptops sometimes when screens get replaced.

less so with led backlight though.

4. Weemansb thread starter macrumors newbie

Weemansb

There is no ghost display, but I have made progress today, I connected it to my tv and started it in recovery mode which has got it working but nothing from the screen when connected

5. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

Open her up, and go back and double check everything. using the TV proves there is a cable not fitted correctly, or some fitting fractured. Go to ifixit and download the reardown if you have another Mac. By the way if this is a 27" model, did you use a heat sensor kit from OWC?

6. zoomos, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017

zoomos macrumors newbie

zoomos

Same thing happened to me, It's probably the center connection, mine is a 2011 so I don't know yours might be different but the center connection wasn't seated and locked properly, make sure their is slight pressure when you locked it down.

[​IMG]

No worse feeling when you do repairs to your computer and it doesn't load up lol.

7. Weemansb thread starter macrumors newbie

Weemansb

8. zoomos macrumors newbie

zoomos

Did you get it fixed?