iMac late 2013 Only SSD BTO adding HDD.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gab0.1992, Aug 5, 2014.

1. gab0.1992 macrumors member

After few months of researching and finding the parts I began. I ordered the iMac past year with a 256gb sad only option and now I'm interested in adding a hdd. I'll be posting photos of I opening the iMac and adding a 3tb hdd. I find the eom parts by apple components and ebay. So it'll look like apple did. Let's go!

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Doing warranty-killing surgery on a Late 2013 iMac to add a PCIe SSD is one thing, but popping the hood to add an internal HDD seems silly to me. You can easily equal the data throughput you'll get from the drive with an external one via either USB 3 or Thunderbolt.

Plus, even if you can cover your tracks sufficiently that Apple doesn't know the machine's been opened, they're not likely to miss an HDD inside that wasn't shipped with the machine.

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I agree with you too. You have a perfect machine that comes with a flash drive, why not get an external drive instead of opening your iMac ;)

4. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Yeah got to agree with what the others have said.

With the time and hassle of opening your iMac and the potential to invalidate your warranty, I would purchase an external hard drive instead. Either USB 3 or Thunderbolt will give you the performance of an internal drive.

5. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    let me clarify - you ripped open your iMac to add a 3tb spinning hd ? smh

like the other mentioned TB or even USB would offer almost identical performance, especially TB, as this is reliable and as fas as internal sata 3 hdd, as a spinning hdd the limiting factor, unlike an sad, will not be TB, or the data interface, but the mechanical limitations of a spinning hdd!

6. jg321 macrumors 6502

Brilliant - if you do this, please do post pictures. Interested myself, and I'm in the same predicament, just not as willing to open mine as you seem to be!

I do slightly agree with others, however I can see how it'd be good to have it all in one box with nothing external.

7. Truthfulie macrumors regular

I can see why you would want to do this. Being a beautiful all-in-one solution iMac is, it's quite annoying to have to deal with an external drive no matter how pretty they may(or may not) look. But the downside of opening up a brand new Mac and avoiding the warranty doesn't seem very appealing either.

If your decision to open your iMac was due to your dislike for external drive on your desk (which is probably true considering there are no other benefits of doing this), perhaps you should considering attaching an external HDD (or go with pre-built solution like AirPort Extreme) to your router or look into creating a NAS.

8. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Don't you have a 21.5-inch iMac? The OEM HDD is 2.5-inch for the 21.5-inch...
    That won't have enough space inside to add a 3.5-inch hard drive.
    Unless there's 2.5-inch 3TB HDD available now? (I could have missed that…)

9. gab0.1992 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the delay! I know it sounds crazy to some of you but as some other told. 1. Starting for the beauty of the machine, I decided remove external hard drives and even I had a raid lacie thunderbolt I wish I can also put inside both of them.
    2. I should took the imac with a hdd instead the ssd since, I had to spent money looking for the exact parts and all the time researching but works! everything works like new, I'm writing right now from the imac.
    3. For those interested the drive I choose is the new seagate which are the fastest spinning drives which mine run 200mbs faster than few ssd sata2 and about 130mbs reading. So i'm having "like" ssd speeds with a 3tb capacity and leave the system in the faster pcie ssd.

For those who are interested in the process I'll post the pictures later. Also I'll mention few issues I go over it during the process but nothing to worry.

I wanted to do it because aside of bring me experience since I do some repair for friends and relatives I practice in working on it. Don't worry soon ill got the apple certifications.

Thanks to all! keep in touch!

10. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Well now that you have done it, there is no point in advising you against it, but your warranty is voided. In the future, you may want to consider an external drive because even an external SSD can get the same performance as an internal SSD. The only benefit of doing an internal installation is for cosmetics, and you sacrifice your remaining warranty in the process. To each his own though. Enjoy your machine, and just pray that none of your parts fail.

Matt

11. jg321 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the pics/write up.

12. gab0.1992 thread starter macrumors member

Yep I wanted to wait until fall so the warranty gone but since my internal storage are getting full. First I bought the drive to use it external in a Lacie enclosure but since was large disk the enclosure won't read the drive. So I decided to look forward the internal option. As I had experience working with macs I know a bit but always it's a risk. Everything goes well and straightforward. I did in less than a 2 hours with few complications. Below ill post the pictures.

13. gab0.1992 thread starter macrumors member

During the first steps of removing the display glue.

Attached Files:

14. gab0.1992 thread starter macrumors member

The parts needed for installation.

Attached Files:

15. gab0.1992 thread starter macrumors member

While opening the display it keeps glued to the bottom.

16. gab0.1992 thread starter macrumors member

While opening the display it keeps glued to te bottom.

Attached Files:

17. khedden macrumors member

Read the iFixit teardown/upgrade article. They address this.

18. gab0.1992 thread starter macrumors member

After the display was removed. As you can see the iMac comes empty in the HDD area.

Attached Files:

19. gab0.1992 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I was uploading the image. I follow all ifixit guides for my repairs. Thanks!

20. jg321 macrumors 6502

Thanks for your efforts so far. Looking forward to the rest!

21. jg321 macrumors 6502

Any update on the remaining steps? Was looking forward to seeing these!

22. gab0.1992 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I wasn't able to post since. The pictures were missing after I change to the new iPhone. My bad! But the iMac is running like a champ. Any dubs or questiona let me know. You can contact me as well to my email g_rodriguez@icloud.com

23. mac.rumors macrumors regular

Hi! This is a great project and I'm planning to add an SSD to my flash-only 2013 iMac 27-inch.

Can you please list down the part numbers and the supplier from where you bought them?

Thanks!

24. mac.rumors macrumors regular

Bump...

25. gab0.1992 thread starter macrumors member

I bought the cable from applecomponents.com and the frame from a eBay seller. Are hard to find.

Apple part# 923-0312, Cable, Hard Drive

the frame I'm unknown if this supplier have them since I ask him and told me they don't know for sure, they just re sale apple parts.