Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rzaza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
Hi,

First of all here is my configuration:

Processor: 3,5 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M
16 Go 1600 MHz DDR3
System: OS X 10.9.1

The problem: the screen randomly flashes to black for a second. It occurred for no particular reason.

Here is a video of the problem: https://vimeo.com/87096982

What I've done so far: -Resetting the VRAM and PRAM
-Resetting the SMC
-Turn it off, unplug it and plug it back in.

Why I don't think it's the graphic card: When I plugged my imac to my tv using the thunderbolt port it works fine on the tv screen but it still flashes to black on my imac.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance. :)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
At this point, I'd get an external hard drive of some sort, and install OS X on it, so you have a fresh install without having to wipe your existing installation. If you're still having issues, to the Apple Store with you!

rzaza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
At this point, I'd get an external hard drive of some sort, and install OS X on it, so you have a fresh install without having to wipe your existing installation. If you're still having issues, to the Apple Store with you!

Thanks for the advice, Im gonna try it today. I'll let you know.

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Hi,

First of all here is my configuration:

Processor: 3,5 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M
16 Go 1600 MHz DDR3
System: OS X 10.9.1

The problem: the screen randomly flashes to black for a sec. It occurred for no particular reason.

Here is a video of the problem: https://vimeo.com/87096982

What I've done so far: -Resetting the VRAM and PRAM
-Resetting the SMC
-Turn it off, unplug it and plug it back in.

Why I don't think it's the graphic card: When I plugged my imac to my tv using the thunderbolt port it works fine on the tv screen but it still flashes to black on my imac.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance. :)

Boot into Safe mode (restart, hold 'shift' at the boot chime).

If you get the flashes, restart again but hold down 'alt' and boot into Recovery Mode.

If the issue persists (pretty much ruling out a software issue) - call AppleCare to log a ticket ASAP.

If you only get flashes in normal boot mode, it could be software related - i.e. a driver/kext issue which AppleCare can help you resolve.

simon201

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Mine does exactly that when I turn my television on (but only then). I have it connected all the time via the Thunderbolt/Minidisplay port.

Is it something to do with the connection between your iMac and the external display?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.