Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OwenLentz

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2023
Rather than pry the iMac open, get an EXTERNAL USB3 SSD.

It can be 1tb, or might even be 512gb (check to see how much space your parents have actually used).

Many are available, I'd suggest the Samsung t7 "Shield". I bought one a few weeks' back and it's very nice (fast, too).

Format the external SSD to APFS, GUID partition format.

Then use either SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner (both are FREE to use for 30 days, this will cost you nothing) to "clone" the contents of the iMac's internal drive to the SSD.

Now, go to the startup disk preference pane and set the SSD to be "the new boot drive".

I -guarantee- (yes, I'm THAT confident) that both you and your parents will be quite pleased with the speed-up.

This will carry them over until the m2/m3 iMac is released.
And when it DOES arrive, the external SSD will make it easy to "migrate their stuff over".
Just connect to the new one and "go". (Although you might want to exclude applications from the initial migration, as a good number of the ones they use -might- require updating).

And once migrated, the external SSD can now become the backup for the iMac's INTERNAL SSD...
Ive noticed you have posted about this multiple times for external vs internal ssd upgrade. Was hoping for a little more help/insight. Guys at best buy and micro center did not think it would work for my needs. They didn't seem to think even a internal upgrade is possible,so I took it with a grain of salt. Micro center guy said my iMac only has USB2? (how does one know?) and external would be slow.

My iMac

Catalina 10.15.7

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1 GB
D25MM0XDF8J9

I use it for general browsing, I work on my own wordpress website, and I use adobe photoshop, illustrator and do some video editing work.

My current system has 3 tb storage (after cleaning, Ive only used 1tb)

I'm ok with opening up my iMac if I have to.

Based on the info what are your recommendations.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Ive noticed you have posted about this multiple times for external vs internal ssd upgrade. Was hoping for a little more help/insight. Guys at best buy and micro center did not think it would work for my needs. They didn't seem to think even a internal upgrade is possible,so I took it with a grain of salt. Micro center guy said my iMac only has USB2? (how does one know?) and external would be slow.

My iMac

Catalina 10.15.7

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
D25MM0XDF8J9

I use it for general browsing, I work on my own wordpress website, and I use adobe photoshop, illustrator and do some video editing work.

Your Micro Center guy was mis-informed. iMac 2013 has 4 USB 3.0 ports.
You know it simply by reading the info provided by Apple.

And if you have to rely on some Micro center guy or Best buy guy to know about your iMac, I suggest you DO NOT open your iMac to try anything. I've seen enough iMac 2013 with broken glass because of first-timers' attempts.

Strictly follow Fishrrman guideline is the safest way for your case.

Reactions: kagharaht and EugW

OwenLentz

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2023

And if you have to rely on some Micro center guy or Best buy guy to know about your iMac, I suggest you DO NOT open your iMac to try anything. I've seen enough iMac 2013 with broken glass because of first-timers' attempts.

Thanks for your reply, based on my requirements, any suggestion on what size Samsung t7 "Shield" to purchase? I have a 2 additional external drives now, as I originally assumed it was a storage issue. I have plenty of additional storage. Can I get away with 1 tb?

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I did this with my late 2013 iMac 21.5, Catalina (Max OS it can run). It was like night and day. I followed Fishrrman instructions and it works great. The only time I had to stop doing this was the external USB ports on the old Mac was giving me trouble and dismounting the drives attached to it and kernel panics. It is a 10 year old machine that was never turned off. Anyway go for it, it works great!

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Thanks for your reply, based on my requirements, any suggestion on what size Samsung t7 "Shield" to purchase? I have a 2 additional external drives now, as I originally assumed it was a storage issue. I have plenty of additional storage. Can I get away with 1 tb?

I would say 1TB is a decent amount of high speed storage.
But a separated enclosure + 1tb SSD sound better to me. For external SSD built this way, you can choose the legacy SATA SSD or future-proof nVME SSD, nVME SSD is quite convenient when you change your Mac, as its speed might increase when you change the cable. (USB 3.0 to USB 3.1/3.2 for instance)

Reactions: OwenLentz

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
If you are using 1 TB and are going to get an external USB 3 SSD, then just get a 2 TB external SSD, since the incremental cost over 1 TB isn't huge, and drives work best when they have some additional free space. That also provides you with room to grow.

Be aware though that USB 3 external drives can sometimes slow down with continuous usage. Also, macOS does not support TRIM on external USB drives, although these days that might not be a big deal, at least with APFS formatted drives.

According to this Tom's Hardware review, some decent options for extended data transfers would be:

Crucial X10 Pro (2 TB)
Crucial X9 Pro (2 TB)
Samsung T7 Shield (2 TB)

The Kingston and Sabrent drives in this review all suck.

KkJVcqmtJDS7iCJxGtv4ca-1200-80.png

Reactions: OwenLentz

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002

My iMac

Catalina 10.15.7

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
D25MM0XDF8J9

My first recommendation is to not go to Best Buy or MicroCentre for your Mac upgrade needs...

Second, taking a trip to everymac (or your System Information app, or MacTracker) will show you that yes, your iMac does have USB 3.

Next, as someone using a Late-2013 iMac with a dying internal HDD and an external SSD (1 TB Samsung T7 Shield) as a daily driver, I can confidently say that using an external USB 3 SSD with a Late-2013 iMac as a boot drive and external storage has worked out great for me.

I would have just opened up the iMac to replace the internal drive but I don't have the time or energy to deal with (and likely replace) the internal display adhesive strips.

Reactions: EugW and OwenLentz

OwenLentz

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2023

Hi, I have followed Fishermans steps as strictly. Format the external SSD to APFS, GUID partition format. But when it comes to the option to clone I only see options like copy etc. I tried back up all files, after 16 hours I stopped. Any help?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-04 at 3.39.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-04 at 3.39.54 PM.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-04 at 3.40.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-04 at 3.40.02 PM.png
    201 KB · Views: 22

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I gave up on SuperDuper! clones years ago. They don’t seem to work with the latest OSes, at least for me.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Hi, I have followed Fishermans steps as strictly. Format the external SSD to APFS, GUID partition format. But when it comes to the option to clone I only see options like copy etc. I tried back up all files, after 16 hours I stopped. Any help?
"Backup - All Files" will create a clone of your boot drive to your external drive. That's the one you should select. And it's going to take a very long time since it will copy everything to the drive, including the recovery partition.

If you still find using SuperDuper difficult, you could also use Carbon Copy Cloner too.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Owen:

Looking at your reply 33 above, the image on the left is "what you want". All set to proceed.

HOWEVER:
Your internal iMac drive is 3tb.
Your external SSD is 1tb.

How much data is on the internal drive?
If it's more than, say, 975gb, you may have problems.

OwenLentz

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2023
Owen:

Looking at your reply 33 above, the image on the left is "what you want". All set to proceed.

HOWEVER:
Your internal iMac drive is 3tb.
Your external SSD is 1tb.

How much data is on the internal drive?
If it's more than, say, 975gb, you may have problems.
Attached are my hard drive, and finally the copied files onto the samsung t7. I followed the steps of Now, go to the startup disk preference pane and set the SSD to be "the new boot drive".

Seems its the same as before? I tried black magic speed test, doesn't seem to have changed? Actually seems slower? Have I missed a step? The faster of the two is the internal, the slower didn't even crack 6mb's, just froze

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 11.09.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 11.09.07 AM.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 11.52.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 11.52.25 AM.png
    277.2 KB · Views: 23

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Owen --

Try the free "AJA System Test Lite" from the Apple Store:

IMPORTANT:
Make sure you go to the area labeled "Target Disk" and select your external SSD as the "source drive". See the image below.

Try this and let us know what you get.
If you get a poor result, check the cable.
A USB3 cable has "blue tips" on the end. A cable with "white tips" will be slower.
AJA screenshot.jpg

OwenLentz

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2023
Owen --

Try the free "AJA System Test Lite" from the Apple Store:

IMPORTANT:
Make sure you go to the area labeled "Target Disk" and select your external SSD as the "source drive". See the image below.

Try this and let us know what you get.
If you get a poor result, check the cable.
A USB3 cable has "blue tips" on the end. A cable with "white tips" will be slower.
View attachment 2334086
Thanks for your reply and help.It seems to be working faster now with both utility tests. Maybe it just needed time? Any thoughts on why google chrome is now not working? I tried reinstalling it, it opens up and then just immediately crashes? Interestingly though when the speed tests was slow earlier. Safari wasn't working properly, it had lines and missing text etc and I had to use chrome. Now that its faster, chrome is not working at all and Safari is way faster than it was.

My cable looks like its blue on the inside.

Any thought?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 2.26.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 2.26.48 PM.png
    280.4 KB · Views: 18

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The speeds you're seeing in reply 39 above look to be pretty good.
About "the best one can get" with a SSD boot drive on a USB3 connection is around 430 or so.

OwenLentz

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2023
The speeds you're seeing in reply 39 above look to be pretty good.
About "the best one can get" with a SSD boot drive on a USB3 connection is around 430 or so.
Awesome thanks! Its definitely faster now. Any ideas on why chrome is not working? Ive tried rebooting in safe mode, deleted and reinstalled. It opens and then immediately crashes, so far all the info out there that Ive found requires it at least stay open.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.