iMac LCD Brightness

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tinkletwink1, Aug 13, 2011.

1. tinkletwink1 macrumors newbie

Does anyone else think the brightness of the iMac lessens as you use it? I couldn't stand having the brightness anywhere near full when I first received the unit, and now I keep it about two clicks below full brightness at all times. I can even handle it on full brightness now, but when I received the unit full brightness felt like my eyes were burning.

2. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

I keep my iMac at half brightness 24/7. Anything brighter makes my eyes hurt. It's just your eyes adjusting, the same way your eyes adjust when you first wake up and turn a bright light on.

3. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

I am used to full brightness. Call me crazy, but I got used to it. Have used it at full brightness for a year now...

4. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

I keep mine 14 clicks below full brightness. There is no way my eyes can take full brightness.

5. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

same here, when i fist got it it was super bright, but now i can handle it, i let my imac automatically adjust the brightness by itself and it does an excellent job at it (i dont know if the older imacs have ambient light sensors)

6. lamboman macrumors 6502

You'll find it's more your eyes adjusting to it than it getting dimmer.

Personally I am always adjusting the brightness if I feel it needs to be, but I very rarely go above half. Don't use auto-brightness, as it becomes too bright in bright light, and is quite a waste of electricity.

7. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

Reading this thread it appears to be what is best for the individual using the iMac. So, it would appear that there is no one setting for all. Good thread.:apple:

8. Doga macrumors regular

Doga

Yep.

I've only had my 21.5" iMac since yesterday but I've set the brightness to about 50% with auto-brightness turned on. Through the years I've kept the brightness setting of all my Mac displays at about half; above that I find it a bit tiring on the eyes. But to each his or her own...

9. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Depending on lighting conditions, I can have my screen on the lowest brightness possible (low light) or about 50% brightness (daylight). My dad, on the other hand, keeps his screen on full brightness whenever he uses it.