iMac LCD Scratch. Any Way to Fix

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jurisprudence, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Jurisprudence macrumors member

Just discovered a small scratch on my iMac 27" 2011 model LCD panel. Must have happened during cleaning. Kicking myself. Its on the panel itself not the front glass :(

Its small but just north east of centre on the panel and exhibits a rainbow effect which changes when you move your head so its sadly very noticeable when in finder or office apps or movies.

Any ideas on how I get rid of it or at least minimize the effect. Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

How is it on the panel, and not the front glass, if you were just cleaning it? Do you usually remove the glass when cleaning your screen? :confused:

3. Jurisprudence thread starter macrumors member

Not usually but I have removed it every once in a while if I spot a speck of dust or such under it. Its the only way I can think it may have happened.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That seems like a very bad idea.

5. Jurisprudence thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I think I get that bit. I'm usually careful using gloves etc but as stated above i can't think of another way it could have occurred other than myself causing it.

On a side note I have 3 iMac 27" models and all have the mura problems. Smoke-free environment yada yada. 1st just had its screen replaced under warranty (late June 2012 purchase) but may have to look into what to do with the other 2. The scratch has nothing to do with Apples processes or design issues of course but may be a way to kill 2 birds with one stone.

6. azurehi macrumors regular

azurehi

I have Often admired the iMac but never owned one. When the "Haswell" iMac comes out I will look again. Why, though, does Apple not completely Seal the screen behind the glass so there is no possibility of dust, etc. getting behind it?

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

They do now, since the 2012 model.

----------

Ouch. Well, you basically have two moral/ethical choices: Buy a new screen, or deal with the scratch. :(

8. Jurisprudence thread starter macrumors member

So there is basically nothing that can be done? I'm aware there are solutions for removing scratches from a screen on a laptop etc but of course they are not the bare panel itself but the coating as the panels themselves are obviously not sturdy enough to face the rough and tumble of the world/me.

C'est la vie I guess. Not worth replacing the panel as this particular iMac is the livingroom one & not used much (hence I hadn't spotted it before). Cheers anyways.