Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordlessjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Manchester, UK
Do you think that the iMac's screen will be updated to an LED one any time soon as I am looking to buy the 24". Maybe.

Cheers

Skengman

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
Essex/London
I hope it does, I don't know whether it will or not but if it was, it would probably be in the next update, so it may be worth hanging on for a bit
I would be willing to pay quite a bit more for LED.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Honestly you will not notice a difference... My MBP has LED backlighting and my iMac doesn't, apart from that initial "Warm up" phase for the first 30 seconds when my iMac is starting up, I do not notice any difference.

Skengman

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
Essex/London
It's the instant-on that attracts me. I put the screen to sleep on my iMac when not using it for anything less than an hour or so, and it bugs me that it takes almost as long as going from hibernate mode to awake as it does just to wake the screen up.
I know it's petty, but it bothers me.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
It's the instant-on that attracts me. I put the screen to sleep on my iMac when not using it for anything less than an hour or so, and it bugs me that it takes almost as long as going from hibernate mode to awake as it does just to wake the screen up.
I know it's petty, but it bothers me.

I like the instant on and the longevity of LED (they will stay brighter, longer)

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
The current iMacs are so bright that I dont know if LED would be benefit. You almost have to wear sunglasses when in front of these things. :cool:

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
For better, more uniform screen lighting (LED) I am willing to wait for that.

Anyway, I'm in no hurry now that I'm buying a 17-inch MBP. :cool:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Not in next update yet, IMO. LED would bump the price too much and I think, Apple is going to lower the price a little bit. Maybe when iMacs get redesigned.

Skengman

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
Essex/London
Not in next update yet, IMO. LED would bump the price too much and I think, Apple is going to lower the price a little bit. Maybe when iMacs get redesigned.

Sounds realistic. It would make it very expensive but I think some people would be willing to pay that.
As I said earlier in the thread, it's the instant-on that makes me jealous of the new(est) ACD's, not the brightness.
Maybe they could offer with or without. Unlikely though, I know...

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
So, do you think it will get redesigned soon?

Not soon, maybe late 2010 or some time in 2011. And if iMacs gets new design it won't differ much from current. Only some little changes.

Attachments

• nexgen-imac-mockup.jpg
    nexgen-imac-mockup.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 92

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Not soon, maybe late 2010 or some time in 2011. And if iMacs gets new design it won't differ much from current. Only some little changes.

Little changes? We just had that!

I agree with your timetable, but if Apple wants to regain anything of who they were, they'll do something insanely radical.

iMacs.png

If they did what could be deemed a "full" redesign and kept the CHIN, I don't know what I'd do with myself.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Little changes? We just had that!

I agree with your timetable, but if Apple wants to regain anything of who they were, they'll do something insanely radical.

iMacs.png

If they did what could be deemed a "full" redesign and kept the CHIN, I don't know what I'd do with myself.

But what would the "radical" be? Move back to G3 design? :D I would see something like 24" LED display's design possible. Honestly, nobody knows what's going on in Apple's "design center"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.