Imac leopard and Tiger help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by reno56k, Sep 15, 2008.

1. reno56k macrumors newbie

I'm trying to set up a partition on my friends Leopard IMac. I have a Tiger OS startup disk and want to install it on the partition.

Anybody has some advice.

2. reno56k thread starter macrumors newbie

so my friend has a iMAC 17" display system. She has Leopard on it. but we need to put Tiger on a partition. We have a program that is not Leopard compatible. We want to put Tiger on a Partition and be able to have a dual boot with Tiger and Leopard.

3. Mugwumper macrumors regular

More info?

If I remember right, the partitioning process 1) must be done from Disk Utility on the installation DVD and 2) wipes out whatever is on the disk. So you'd have to reinstall Leopard in one partition and Tiger in the other. Lots of work . . .:(

What kind of iMac is it - Intel or G5? How big is the internal hard drive you want to partition?

Personally, I'd probably opt to get a small external FireWire drive (like one of these 160GB Passport thingies), and install Tiger on that, along with the software you need. You can still boot over FireWire (but not USB), so you've got the same results as a partitioned main drive, but with a lot less work.

Hope this helps . . .