iMac Leopard upgrade crash and can't reboot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by poje, Dec 19, 2007.

1. poje macrumors newbie

I have a family pac and used this disk on three other computers, but the iMac is a problem. It stops in early on in the install process with a message "The installer could not validate the contents of the 'BaseSystem" package." When I try to restart the computer I get, " a black/grey screen that says among other things. "The installer could not validate the contents of the 'BaseSystem" package"

Now it's dead. Can't go forward, can't go backward. Please help.

ed

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Were you doing an upgrade, an archive, or a full reformat? :)

3. poje thread starter macrumors newbie

everything

I have tried all three. I am now down to having erased the entire hard drive and I still can't get Leopard to mount. I even tried to reinstall the original Apple Tiger disks and it failed. That problem is probably a DVD reader failure and I have replaced it with an external drive. After replacing the external DVD drive I was able to reinstall the original Tiger software, but still it failed when installing Leopard. I erased it again and still nothing. The Leopard disk is good. I have used it three other times on MacBook Pro's, but never on an iMac.

Thanks for your interest.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. poje thread starter macrumors newbie

got it fixed

Thanks for your interest.

I got it to work by connecting the iMac (20", plastic case, 2gig) to my MacBook Pro as a hard drive and doing the install from the DVD on the laptop.

I had read about it somewhere before as a solution to something and it worked. The problem is still unexplained, but sometimes understanding is less important than doing.

thanks,

ed

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Excellent work mate. Hopefully you'll have no more troubles. :)